Author Topic: Duke of Burgundy - SPOILER ALERT  (Read 3434 times)

Offline millicent

• 'masochistic fembot'
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
  • terms and conditions apply
    • Be breast aware.
Re: Duke of Burgundy - SPOILER ALERT
« Reply #30 on: Sep 21, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »
Most of all the film made me think about what submission is, how often there is a point where people run up against their own egos: do they really want to surrender to another's will? or is it more that they want to do what they want to do, but have the responsibility and work taken out of it and their needs catered to in the guise of being dominated.

When you first wrote that, I'm not sure I understood, but I think I get it now.
From the (limited, granted) sample of submissive men in my vicinity it does feel like their submission is an elaborate construct and massive fetish in their own heads, but when it comes down to it, actually counts for very little and doesn't stop them from acting like complete dicks to their dommes.
I wonder if they even see them as people/ friends or if they are just fetish delivery systems to them.
UGH.

'Are you hopeful or just gullible?'

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #31 on: Sep 21, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »
Most of all the film made me think about what submission is, how often there is a point where people run up against their own egos: do they really want to surrender to another's will? or is it more that they want to do what they want to do, but have the responsibility and work taken out of it and their needs catered to in the guise of being dominated.

When you first wrote that, I'm not sure I understood, but I think I get it now.
From the (limited, granted) sample of submissive men in my vicinity it does feel like their submission is an elaborate construct and massive fetish in their own heads, but when it comes down to it, actually counts for very little and doesn't stop them from acting like complete dicks to their dommes.
I wonder if they even see them as people/ friends or if they are just fetish delivery systems to them.
UGH.

I wasn't in a great place when I wrote that, four months out of what had been a pretty heavy relationship, I recall the day I went to see the film was also bleak and grey. I don't think I wrote it with any particular gender in mind tho, and as you will have noticed I am 'the menz' number one fan  :P but even so I think it's a bit unfair to say ALL male submissives are incapable of a genuine exchange.

Offline millicent

• 'masochistic fembot'
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • Be breast aware.
« Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2016, 06:25:05 AM »
Yeah - I was referring to my limited sample over the last week (in some cases months), in which three out of three behaved like complete dicks. (I was extra annoyed because of one particular thing I just found out.)

I'm not saying I came to my conclusions under laboratory test conditions.
I didn't mean to imply that was extrapolating either.

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #33 on: Sep 22, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
Meh, I'm assuming this may have a connection to a mutual friend, if so *gaaahhh* that things continue to be rubbish for them. I think the REALITIES of power dynamic relationships x social inequality x mediatised bullshit would make an excellent RL discussion topic.

lil_moomin

« Reply #34 on: Sep 23, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
I really wish I could've watched this film. It sounds like it raises some interesting topics. I tried but the mth overload in the first minute was enough and I walked out!

Shame there isn't a book.

I don't think anyone should behave like dicks - irrespective of their gender, their D/s ID - irrespective of anything else, it comes down to being human - life is short, there's no need.

Offline MzB

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #35 on: Sep 23, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »
"This film contains strong scenes of moths and nudity from the outset."

;D

Offline Goblin Flump

• I'm so Shiny
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deadpool
« Reply #36 on: Sep 23, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »
I can't watch that one indiana jones film cos of the walking on sundry insects scene.
The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.

Offline millicent

• 'masochistic fembot'
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • Be breast aware.
« Reply #37 on: Sep 23, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »
Mint, I think you can rent it online and that way maybe you can fast forward through the moth bits?

(I don't remember the moths, but then I don't mind them.)

And yes, nobody should behave like a dick.