Author Topic: Dungeon Random Disclosures  (Read 80150 times)

Groke

Re: Dungeon Random Disclosures
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:33:19 AM »
At the moment, Sherb, very little. People are posting vaulty stuff in the dungeon.

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
The question piqued my interest.
I know what it says on the area descriptor, but who choose the words?

I think of a vault as a place to put something valuable, to keep it safe. It conjures up a sense of agency and autonomy. I put XYZ in the vault.

Dungeon makes me think, punishment, lack of agency, hopelessness and misery.

Like being in an oubliette.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »
what is the difference between the Dungeon and the Vault.  I don't post in either but wondered what the difference is.

My perception of it is that the Vault is more general sex/longing stuff. Whereas the Dungeon is more specifically sub/dom(me) and BDSM interests. Your less vanilla leanings  ;) Not of interest to everyone.

But yes, it's all got a bit more mixed up recently. Although both spaces should be "safe" spaces to share information that wouldn't then be used against you in any way for external discussion, on other boards or elsewhere. And no judging/sex-shaming. Both of these things have happened recently  ::)

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »
I see it as the Vault being a 15 rating while the Dungeon is an 18.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Jeepster

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »
Ok, I've been off the 'scene' for years but pray, do tell,  what does vanilla leanings mean?

???
Make my day - Smile!

sherb...

« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
what is the difference between the Dungeon and the Vault.  I don't post in either but wondered what the difference is.

My perception of it is that the Vault is more general sex/longing stuff. Whereas the Dungeon is more specifically sub/dom(me) and BDSM interests. Your less vanilla leanings  ;) Not of interest to everyone.

But yes, it's all got a bit more mixed up recently. Although both spaces should be "safe" spaces to share information that wouldn't then be used against you in any way for external discussion, on other boards or elsewhere. And no judging/sex-shaming. Both of these things have happened recently  ::)

Thanks Nismat.  You would have thought that in all the years I have been on GB I would know lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjCLlzdM9Vs

For anyone who doesn't know who she is watch clip.  Her interpretation of Bach is spot on.  My interpretation is not so spot on.  I need precise fingering and lots of forte.  You cannot cheat with Bach.  It is very technical. 
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2015, 11:51:29 AM by sherb... »

Offline horse

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »
Dungeon makes me think, punishment, lack of agency, hopelessness and misery.
Like being in an oubliette.

I think this is an interesting point (and it overrides my fear of posting in here)

BDSM appears to split into two groups, the dungeon club scene where the emphasis is on sensation play and themes of physical violence and threat, and I'd include knife/needle/blood play in this.

Then there is the domestic, verbal control type of D/s, to which the idea of a "dungeon" is out of place, and annoyingly the Shades of Grey film perpetuates this narrow image of domestic D/s by associating it with fantasies of abuse. When really it follows exactly the same principles of love, communication and care as any other relationship.

(I'm sure there are other ways of identifying this, I'm not intending to exclude any one group)

I don't feel comfortable about being associated with the whips and chains group, yes I'm taking on the usual vanilla predujuice in reacting this way, but nobody outside of D/s sees this identity as valid anyway and it's just something they feel quite happy about openly rejecting. Even the other day someone said this isn't what nice people do.
The concept of a menacing black dungeon just perpetuates this stereotype I think.

The fact that vanilla people use this section for hypocritical titillation just makes it a non safe space regardless of how anyone defines their kink. But labelling D/s as something that somehow requires a dungeon isn't helpful.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2015, 11:31:05 AM by horse »

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
Dungeon seems fine as a shorthand word for kink friendly/BDSM themed. I would hope that in the space people could practice the ethos of 'your kink is not my kink': meaning that I might not be into the same kink as another person but can accept it's a matter of taste NOT judge others for what they are into.

Offline Jeepster

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Please will someone tell me what vanilla refers to? Please.
Make my day - Smile!

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
Please will someone tell me what vanilla refers to? Please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_sex google is your friend.... tho check out what wiki says about lesbians! Like really ? ? ?

Offline fetishkitty

• Beware the scary pheremones...
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • And.....she's back!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »
Vanilla = non-kinky/non-BDSM sex

kitty

Cas73

« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »
I loathe the term vanilla, brings to mind two lesbians holding hands above the duvet staring lovingly into each other's eyes, when it's anything but, and a lot of so called vanilla read the interesting and thought provoking threads in the Dungeon because our so called vanilla actually overlaps into what would be considered kink.

Just saying  :)

Offline horse

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
Dungeon seems fine as a shorthand word for kink friendly/BDSM themed.
But as a forum label it is defining what kink is, as dark and scary place.
Which is the exact opposite of D/s, which for the most part is a safe, sane and ordered environment.

I mean who actually wants to talk openly in a forum called the dungeon while it is attached to a group of vanilla people. Its very nature runs counter to much of their sexually correct ideology about respecting women and their concept of sexual abuse, and in practice it gets treated as 'other'.

Offline fetishkitty

• Beware the scary pheremones...
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • And.....she's back!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
Well, the description on the main page describes The Dungeon as a safe, sane and consensual space. Which it is. Plus, it's not an actual dungeon, y'know? It's a section on an internet message board. You couldn't actually get physically hurt by someone else here...it's pretty safe in that respect.

I'm going to leave the negative characterisation of my sexuality well alone, as I don't really care what anyone thinks about what I do with happily consenting partners.

kitty

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »
Dungeon seems fine as a shorthand word for kink friendly/BDSM themed.
But as a forum label it is defining what kink is, as dark and scary place.
Which is the exact opposite of D/s, which for the most part is a safe, sane and ordered environment.

erm...no. no more than the vault implies that there are a load of lesbians inside a bank vault having a wank.

This is YOUR perception of a dungeon and YOUR perception of hwere and how D/S takes place

I mean who actually wants to talk openly in a forum called the dungeon while it is attached to a group of vanilla people. Its very nature runs counter to much of their sexually correct ideology about respecting women and their concept of sexual abuse, and in practice it gets treated as 'other'.

THE WORLD is attached to a group of vanilla people, plus that's not an impermeable membrane. I'm not up for the dungeon being a place where people come to dis or judge kink but I'm fine with it being a place where people can learn things or discuss curiously. I could keep it all on Fetlife, but occasionally it's nice to chat with a few people I know on here and hear the opinions of others.