Author Topic: Intersectionality  (Read 17918 times)

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
    • Gingerbeer - The Lesbian Guide
Intersectionality
« on: Feb 08, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »
Multiple identities often comes up in the work that I'm doing these days.  It's often a discussion point in diversity work where you have people whose multiple identities see them being pulled in multiple directions often against their will.  You have to come to the black event, you have to come to the lesbian event, the women need you, why aren't you speaking up for disability?

I prefer to celebrate the individual aspects about me the way that I want to, it's always nice to have all of the options but I'm going to make my own choices about them.  I want my options expanded, not limited.
Check the content site to see what's happening around the UK and abroad.  http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: Intersectionality
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:34:26 PM »
I didn't know it was called this, but it happens all over the place.  I first experienced it when I was women's officer at uni and was accused of not spending enough time in the LGB room (it was a long time ago, there wasn't a T or Q yet and even the B was new).  So this is a bit of a mercy post to say I agree with you, basically :)

Is this a new section to discuss race and ethnicity which is open to all, not just women of colour?

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
    • Gingerbeer - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2015, 08:39:35 AM »
Very generous of you:-)

I just wanted to take the pressure of anyone so they don't have to make the first post in an empty board.

Yes, this section is open to all.
Check the content site to see what's happening around the UK and abroad.  http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk

scouser

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
I am happy you have provided this place evict, some of us feel torn at times 're- where to post, this fits  everything and everyone, I shall feel happy being able to express myself here, thank you. :)

bizoute

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »
Thanks for creating this, EvicT. We all have so many micro-identities (at least, I presume so. I know I do).

Offline Contemporary Mistress

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
I  think  this  was  partly  the  reason  for   an  identity  crisis  I  had  years  back   :(

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2015, 01:21:00 AM »
Not a lesbian, not a woman, but he certainly understood intersectionality.  My favourite poet, my favourite Welsh writer, if only all heterosexual men loved and respected their wives as much as he did.

Only just read that he died last September*.   :'(. I shouldn't cry, he was 91 and outlived his beloved wife by 9 years.

http://www.dannieabse.com

* at least, I don't *think* I knew this.  It's been such a crazy year, is it possible to be this sad and then forget I knew it? 

Offline Engel234

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Also known as Brian !
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2015, 01:37:01 AM »
Dannie Abse was pretty awesome. I met and saw him read poems. From very patriotic Welsh peep who encountered enormous amounts of physical and emotional abuse for being openly gay in N Wales even in 2003 !

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2015, 02:12:53 AM »
^ I met him and heard him read, too.

One of my books is signed by both him and his wife.  They thought it was an odd request, but agreed :)

When I read Two For Joy, I was more sure than ever that it was not a silly request.(they didn't find it silly, just unusual).

Offline Forest_Fairie

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
Interesting terminology. I am not sure I fit into boxes very well. Some I know I belong in. Mother. Not straight. Fat. Has wild hair. Slightly insane. Woman. Of mixed heritage (but not in the ethnicity monitoring way because that is quite simplistic and I can tick 3 different boxes, depending how I feel on that day and because I'm awkward. ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2015, 08:31:32 AM by Spark »