Author Topic: 24/7 Motorhoming  (Read 1410 times)

Offline JayLo

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
24/7 Motorhoming
« on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
Hi all,
I am planning on selling my house and getting a Motorhome to live in and travel around for the foreseeable future. I have had a VW camper for many years but aim to move up to a sizeable 4 berth motorhome that I can call home. My plans are being made for the future as I shall be leaving work at end of March 2016. Does anyone have any experience in the travelling lifestyle? I would like to be able to travel around with others at times but also enjoy my own company with my dog.

Look forward to hearing from anyone with advice/experiences to share please.

Thanks J x
Non ducor duco

Offline Jeepster

• Gingerbeer Diva
Re: 24/7 Motorhoming
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
Hi there, I've not done the 24/7 motor homing but have had three different styles of MH over the years. Are you thinking of going overseas or just the UK?
I really enjoyed my time holidaying but also spent about 8 months living in one almost full time, it was parked up though for most of the time.
The things I missed were - a bath, my own washing machine and well, not much else really.
I liked my low profile, fixed bed best. 2.8 jtd, fiat ducato. If you can, go for at least a 2.8 as anything less than that will struggle at times.
Sounds like a great idea. I'm a mine of useful and useless information re motor homes so feel free to pick my brains. Loads of useful websites too.
Good luck! :)
Make my day - Smile!

Offline JayLo

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:59:40 PM »
Hi Jeepster
️️Thanku for the reply. I'm really excited about it all and I'd be really grateful for any info/sites that would help me plan ahead. Yes, I've decided on a fixed bed MH and was toying with the idea of an Autotrail Chieftan but am a little nervous of the size though it seems a really comfy vehicle and all that I can forseeably need in a MH however, the price of a used 2009 model is practically the same as a new Bailey Approach 730 which has an island bed and is a bit shorter which I think would suit me better. It's built on a Peugeot Boxer Euro 5, 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp engine with 6 gear manual gearbox. What really impressed me on this one is that it is purpose built with top insulation for all year camping.  I am going to the NEC MH exhibition in a couple of weeks to take a good look at all the ones they have to suit what I have in mind.  I shall be primarily travelling in UK but have friends living in Spain so will want to spend some time over there once I'm brave enough to leave the shores of Zold Blighty lol.
I would love to hear more of your travels please feel free to email me when you have time my email addy is listlesscloud@outlook.com

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards, J x
Non ducor duco

Offline Jeepster

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:30:40 AM »
The Boxer and Ducato are the same vehicle. All year insulation is good but most newer MH's are well insulated. The Chieftain is indeed a big rig but once you're used to the dimensions you'll be fine. Think about the length though, that's the main hassle.
I've been called in to 'work' today so will be in touch later.
Ah, you're making me miss my MH !!! :'(
Make my day - Smile!

Offline JayLo

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
I am leaning towards the Bailey as it is a bit shorter and I think new vehicle (with warranty) vs 6 year old without warranty makes it almost a no brainer. I won't miss a bath as I use a shower in everyday life and I've seen a little washing machine of sorts designed specifically for camping so it shouldn't prove too difficult methinks.  I spoke to my friend living in Spain and she said she will come over and travel back there with me which will get me through my nerves about driving on the continent.

I know I shouldn't wish my life away but I can hardly wait to embark on this most exciting stage in my life.  I notice u are in Italy are u settled there or just staying temporarily?

Regards J x
Non ducor duco

Offline Jeepster

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »
I've sent you an email  :)
Make my day - Smile!

tanjarine

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2015, 08:06:26 PM »
Hi guys...I'm really interested in this thread. As an ex traveller/backpacker who never made it into a campervan, I still am interested in hearing from others with this interest and style of life.