Author Topic: Where Do You Love to Travel?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
Where Do You Love to Travel?
« on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:27:41 AM »
I guess I'm starting this thread with the same intentions behind the 'What are you loving on TV' thread.

I use that thread to find recommendations, pique my interest and help me make choices outside my box.
Same with the Netflix thread.

So.
Traveling.
I absolutely adore traveling in North America.
For me it has everything that I love.
I often travel by bike with a tent - pretty self-sufficient.

America has phenomenal wild spaces that are traversible by bike, incredible wild camping opportunities and enough of an infrastructure for 'wilderness' travel that I can find places to stop with more facilities (a soul has to wash in warm water at some point!)

I find the cities fascinating. Not least of all because I've wrapped them up in the American mass media I grew up on - Westerns and road movies of various kinds.
I can imagine myself a cowboy on my bike and when setting up my tiny camp, and take great joy in that 😊

If I'm to get excited about taking time off work (which I adore and need a strong incentive to leave) it's got to involve a web stop at Adventure Cyling....and a map purchase.
Going to bed to read a map of where I might cycle! Nothing makes me happier  :D

Where do you love to roam/travel/holiday/unwind/regroup?
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2015, 09:32:32 AM by Guineapig »
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Cas73

Re: Where Do You Love to Travel?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
Anywhere there are strong elements of history, art, culture and architecture.  Which is probably why I love European capital cities so much.  Rome is on my wish list, but then, so is Florence.  I would definitely visit Istanbul or Athens again.  And I love Paris too.

I also love being close to nature, so a well equipped cabin in the Scottish highlands would be perfect.  Preferably near water, lake or the sea.  The more Northern the better, any place that would increase my chances of witnessing the aurora borealis.   

If I had the money, I would definitely visit New Zealand too.  Beautiful, beautiful scenery. 

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »
^ Oh my goodness!
Can you share something about your travels to these areas?
I'd be fascinated.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »
Lodjur, whats your sailing background?
I'm assuming not up and down and Alp or two....  ;D

Do you plan your own trips and equipment hire?
Do you travel solo?
Go with an organised group?

I'm super interested.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline Inara

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:12:57 PM »
oh, anywhere, really. except my home town :D

I like sailing holidays, all inclusive holidays, city breaks, countryside holidays, driving holidays...

So, Spain is amazing, Netherlands is beautiful... I'd like to go to Brazil, New Zealand, Oz, Madagascar and many more places.

oh, and every year I go to Germany where I have friends and they take charge of me and show me places. that helps me recharge.
You're not just a girl, you're more like the air and sea.

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:31:20 PM »
Most of Europe, Costa Rica', Vancouver Island,Nova Scotia.

But at this point in life, i prefer cities ,mainly London  & NYC
accept what is,let go of what was and have  faith in what will be

Offline floatingintheworld

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:32:18 AM »
My favourite holidays have been in North and East Africa and UK countryside. I go to the same town in Spain every other year too (it's where my family is from, but as I'm not in touch with anyone there, it's just for the fab seaside holiday!). I'm currently planning a trip to the Dominican Republic filled with watersports, history, scenery, good food and a spa. ;-)
B&B hopping, trekking (usually on horse/camel) and adventure trips are my favourite. Those holidays when you learn and explore places, people, culture and yourself..... you return glowing and enlightened.
The #292 Rule: Never be ashamed of yourself. Because you are born into one skin. You can scar it, stretch it, burn it, mark it, tan it, peel it. But you are always in it, so you might as well learn to love it.

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »
I've not to been to Africa.
I'd love to hear more about your trips, floatingintheworld ( I like that conjunction  ;D )
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline floatingintheworld

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »
I'd love to hear more about your trips, floatingintheworld ( I like that conjunction  ;D )

Africa was amazing. In Tunisia, a coach-load of us explored the country- staying with cave dwellers in their beautiful homes, visiting museums and galleries and exploring winding streets with the most intricate architecture.... we even stayed in a Bedouin campsite, travelling through the Sahara on camels. In Marrakesh, Morocco we kayaked on the river and visited the city, also rich in architecture.
In Tanzania, trekked through the mountains, staying in small villages and then spent some time travelling around Dar and staying with various families and communities.

In Spain, I always go trekking along the coastal paths and through the hills and the Giant's Tooth Mountain (this is a literal translation, I'm not sure what the real name for this is, but the locals refer to it as this from stories about a giant who punched out false teeth from a mountain, leaving behind rectangular gaps and some discarded teeth boulders in the sea). Water skiing, diving, sailing and other water and beach sports are always on the menu, as is proper Spanish food from tapas bars and restaurants on old cobbled streets, where noone speaks English other than the lady from the tiny English shop. And our town has the most fun Easter Parade with 10+ foot paella and beach volleyball tournaments...

Have done many exciting holidays here in the UK as well- from equestrian holidays in the New Forest and Isle of White to a Uk-wide road trip visiting universities. This summer we spent nearly a month camping in a working town in Cornwall- going down old mines, swimming in coves, climbing down the cliffs, eating the best camping food and card tournaments and midnight exploring. We've done a few of those adventure holidays where you do all the rock climbing and rope work and zip wire and things too. But I also do those short trips for smaller walks and interesting lectures and exhibitions and things.

We also did a road trip through Canada and the state of New York. The largest confectionery shop I've ever seen, the thousand islands, the CN Tower.... We drove through Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo and more.

I'm leaving out some other amazing travels, but this post is already really long.

Guineapig: I would definitely recommend holidaying in Africa. One of the things I've always wanted to do is a safari in Tanzania or Kenya or somewhere...

+ Attachments and other options
The #292 Rule: Never be ashamed of yourself. Because you are born into one skin. You can scar it, stretch it, burn it, mark it, tan it, peel it. But you are always in it, so you might as well learn to love it.

Ong Bak

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »

Africa was amazing. In Tunisia, a coach-load of us explored the country- staying with cave dwellers in their beautiful homes, visiting museums and galleries and exploring winding streets with the most intricate architecture.... we even stayed in a Bedouin campsite, travelling through the Sahara on camels. In Marrakesh, Morocco we kayaked on the river and visited the city, also rich in architecture.
In Tanzania, trekked through the mountains, staying in small villages and then spent some time travelling around Dar and staying with various families and communities.

In Spain, I always go trekking along the coastal paths and through the hills and the Giant's Tooth Mountain (this is a literal translation, I'm not sure what the real name for this is, but the locals refer to it as this from stories about a giant who punched out false teeth from a mountain, leaving behind rectangular gaps and some discarded teeth boulders in the sea). Water skiing, diving, sailing and other water and beach sports are always on the menu, as is proper Spanish food from tapas bars and restaurants on old cobbled streets, where noone speaks English other than the lady from the tiny English shop. And our town has the most fun Easter Parade with 10+ foot paella and beach volleyball tournaments...

Have done many exciting holidays here in the UK as well- from equestrian holidays in the New Forest and Isle of White to a Uk-wide road trip visiting universities. This summer we spent nearly a month camping in a working town in Cornwall- going down old mines, swimming in coves, climbing down the cliffs, eating the best camping food and card tournaments and midnight exploring. We've done a few of those adventure holidays where you do all the rock climbing and rope work and zip wire and things too. But I also do those short trips for smaller walks and interesting lectures and exhibitions and things.

We also did a road trip through Canada and the state of New York. The largest confectionery shop I've ever seen, the thousand islands, the CN Tower.... We drove through Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo and more.

I'm leaving out some other amazing travels, but this post is already really long.

Guineapig: I would definitely recommend holidaying in Africa. One of the things I've always wanted to do is a safari in Tanzania or Kenya or somewhere...

+ Attachments and other options

:o Wow, you've squeezed in a lot of neat adventures.

Re Africa, I've visited Masai Land before. Awesome. :D

Offline SonyaWallace

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »
I personally LOVE travelling in Europe, but after travelling to a couple of exotic destinations, I've got a new travel bug and want to see more beautiful and exotic places.

I want to go to Madagascar, Australia, Venezuela, and South America. I found this http://theleap.co.uk/gap-year-travel/ecuador/ and I found it to be absolutely mesmorizing. I cannot wait to see some of these awesome destinations!

I love history which is why I fell in love with Europe and prefer it, but now I'm on a new travelling training to tropical and exotic locations!

So excited.