Author Topic: Is peace possible?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Jaques

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Is peace possible?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
This is a terrible thread.

....terrible in what respect? 

as we have all been born on this earth from one another biologically and if you believe in reincarnation, to be with those we were with in one relationship or anotherin order to work out "unfinished business".  Whether we are educated or ignorant, rich or poor, every person, every nation in fact is interdependant,  all seeking happiness as we at that time in our spiritual development, see it, no one wants to suffer the indignities pain and oppression we witness day after day in our streets and watch from afar as people torture, kill and maim one another, using religion or their version of truth to justify it.
I feel this is the result of seeing ourselves as separate - many of us dont even talk to our immediate neighbours, the old die from lack of warmth both mental and physical.  I think what we have to see is that we are all "in it" for the same reason - theres enough food stockpiled on various parts of this planet to feed everyone.  Theres enough land to live comfortably instead of drawing lines on a map like the old british empire where i was taught as a child with the teacher pointing to africa/india - "all these pink bits are ours" - now they moan because those people whose countries we "civilised" have british passports and actually dare to live in "our country" - theres karma for you. ;)
in order for me to wear the shirt im wearing, someone in another country planted & picked the cotton - someone else wove it into material, someone else died it - someone else made the machinery/cotton/buttons to put it together, someone sold it..............etc. .etc.  Just like that, we all need one another - or we dont get to shop so cheaply at Primark ;)
 Therefore is it really so unrealistic to accept our interdependance?  and if you think about it, the best form of self interest is being more considerate to the "others" who we need in order to live our lives in comfort - that way we take care of ourselves and others at the same time and all benefit - yeh?  and thats just one small example of how possible peace COULD be :)

scouser

« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:21:56 PM »
Well said J, but I think she meant it's terrible because it's a bit boring, depending on how you see this site, not very uplifting or topical, maybe everyone is so depressed at current news stories, events, they just don't wish to discuss, or read stuff on here, it can be a little dismal I suppose.
But just picking up on some of your points, I was actually thinking about the irony of the current situation myself last night, i.e.; the terrorist attacks, and yes, the apparent threat inside our country now, also.
The passport thing you said, yes, the youth of the generations that indeed managed passage to this, and other countries after serving our country during the war, seem to be fighting what they now feel is their cause,/ war,in their way from the inside, irony heh! :(

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
Jaques that is an excellent thought provoking post

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »
Jaques that is an excellent thought provoking post
ditto!!
whoever thinks  this is a boring thread...no problem . I think there are about 70 others  to read  & participate
accept what is,let go of what was and have  faith in what will be

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
I said it was a *terrible* thread.

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
Peace<no.
Give me one century that we have recorded in our history books that was without war, slavery or torture?

Yet, we have  had spiritual leaders, benevolent despots,etc and how much did that help?

We are only capable  of  building our own microcosms as far as sharing peace with others & on an individual level,finding inner peace  by accepting & changing what needs to be changed…yes, inner peace.

Offline braveandcrazy

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Crazy since 1964
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:41:31 PM »
I asked my 13y.o this.  And he said No.  Because humans are aggressive.  Because humans have always fought.  Because there's always an idiot in government.  Because humans like power.  And money.  And because each religion thinks their's is the best.
"Not everyone is in a position to help animals, but everyone is in a position not to harm animals" HuntSabs Assoc

Offline Jaydee

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • still crazy after all these years
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »
Firstly, Jacques, I thought your post was spot on.  In answer to the original question, I believe peace is possible but only if we accept and live in our own reality accepting ourselves as we are and accepting others in the same way, without the need to impress our beliefs upon them or try to get more than the person next to us, to the point where the only way we can win is to kill them. 

Personally, I could never believe in a God that is capricious enough to only love those who love Them in one way and only believe certain things about Them.  All of the religious wars have happened out of a wish for some to force their beliefs upon others, believing their belief to be right and to be working for the good of God.  To me, if you believe the same as me, cool.  If you don't also cool, I'll see you in heaven anyway.  I fully expect to see friends of Muslim, Christian, Seikh, Jewish, Druid, Hindu and no faith, in heaven. 

It is not me who decides but God, so I am not going to waste my time fighting with anyone else about it.  If you wish to chop my head off because I don't believe the same as you, then so be it.  I could be wrong in my beliefs and so could others in theirs. 
Remember yesterday, Dream about tomorrow, Live today

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
I said it was a *terrible* thread.
as in terror?

mint

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
in terms of little pockets of peace, do you believe some communities can live peacefully or do they all end up with similar problems eventually? i mean like the small communities without large numbers of people (like some of the eco communities).

Offline scouser

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »
Let's hope so.....however.....it could take more than one miracle! :-\
One day I'll laugh about this!😑

silverchic

« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Only inside my house in quiet moments with my cats for company.

Out there its a cruel hard and uncaring rat race which I no longer have the energy for.

I show my caring by giving to various charities, there is nothing else I can do about world problems only pray.

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »
I asked my 13y.o this.  And he said No.  Because humans are aggressive.  Because humans have always fought.  Because there's always an idiot in government.  Because humans like power.  And money.  And because each religion thinks their's is the best.
13????? quite intelligent!

Offline scouser

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2016, 01:02:34 AM »
I think it is, if we ALL really try our very best!
One day I'll laugh about this!😑

silversoul

« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »
It's a great shame that we fight amongst ourselves in the communities we live in when we should/could all be uniting against the common enemy of terrorism. The world today is so full of hate and it saddens me so.