Author Topic: Visiting Edinburgh  (Read 1061 times)

Offline PaintBox

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Visiting Edinburgh
« on: Oct 31, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »
I am going to be in Edinburgh For the next couple of weeks and will be travelling up quite a bit over the next year for work. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to see etc? I'm quite excited as I love Scotland.  :)

Offline braveandcrazy

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Crazy since 1964
Re: Visiting Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2014, 12:28:20 AM »
Wow lucky you!  I love Scotland too.  And Edinburgh in August especially is among my favourite places to be - if you like fringe theatre that is.    There's an awful lot to do and see.  If you like museums, you could do no worse than the National Museum of Scotland (http://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-scotland/).  The Botanic Gardens are beautiful and FREE!  There's Edinburgh Castle, and Holyroodhouse Palace and the very odd looking building that is the Scottish Assembly overlooking Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat (if you fancy a climb!).

Walking is a complete pleasure.  15-20 minutes out of town and you're out into the Pentland Hills. 

It's easy to explore the city on foot but the bus network is excellent and not unreasonably priced.  I believe the new trams are now working in the city so it no longer resembles a building site. I just like wandering about and seeing where I end up!

Lots of night life, clubs, pubs (serving real beer), restaurants, theatre and so on.
Leith has lots of quaint places to sit and eat/drink/watch the world go by.

And of course Glasgow is only 45 minutes away by train and Linlithgow (birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots) is 15 mins from Waverley station en route to Glasgow.

Just never leave home without an umbrella!

"Not everyone is in a position to help animals, but everyone is in a position not to harm animals" HuntSabs Assoc

Offline PaintBox

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
Thanks for your recommendations  :)

I am there now, it's great! I have a lovely view over the city, I love the gothic buildings and sense of air and space. You're  right about the rain, I got soaked twice already and it's pretty cold. I did look up the National Museum of Scotland earlier when I was hunting round for things to do, it sounds well worth a visit.

Yes they have trams. I think tomorrow I am on the hunt for a cafe to sit and work in after my meeting so I might travel down to Leith.

Offline sealion

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
You might enjoy Nom de Plume, a women's / gay cafe in Broughton Street. The National Portrait Gallery also has a nice cafe - they make excellent unusual varieties of scones.

I would endorse the recommendation of the Botanic Gardens. Another place I like is Portobello which has a beach and wonderful victorian swimming baths overlooking the beach (women only on wed night) - it's a short bus ride out of town (15mins).

Offline braveandcrazy

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Crazy since 1964
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
Enjoy sightseeing Paintbox.  I'm ever so slightly envious !
"Not everyone is in a position to help animals, but everyone is in a position not to harm animals" HuntSabs Assoc

Offline PaintBox

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:38:22 PM »
It was sunny today, everything looked even more grand and impressive.  And  I found poems from great Scottish writers written on the paving stones.  :D

Thanks for those recommendations, sealion. I did Google gay cafes out of interest and only came up with one that apparently had closed, so I will have a look. I ended up in the National Gallery cafe today as it was conveniently located when I got off the bus and had a nice view of Princes Street gardens. The Victorian swimming baths sound great and I'd love to see the beach.

It sounds like you should plan a trip here, braveandcrazy!

Offline braveandcrazy

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Crazy since 1964
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »
It does indeed!  I missed this year's fringe but will be there for 2015!  I almost moved to Edinburgh back in 2012 but it kinda fell apart.  There may even be another attempt on the cards in the not too distant future!

Offline sheitana

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »
There's Rubyfruit,a lesbian group meeting once a week to Nom de Plume café.I've been there on my own,they are very very friendly and will even hang out with you :)
Rubyfruit has a fb page,check it out!

Offline PaintBox

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »
I'm tempted myself, braveandcrazy!

Sheitana- Thanks for the Rubyfruit recommendation, I will take a look.

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »
Sealion - thanks for recommending Nom de Plume. Mental Elf and I were in Edinburgh for a couple of days and we had dinner there on Friday night. It was great - tasty, reasonably priced food and a lovely warm and friendly atmosphere :)
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D