Author Topic: More tips on Berlin  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Hawa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
More tips on Berlin
« on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »
I have found these threads

http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=91605.msg2637313#msg2637313
http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=106516.msg3272905#msg3272905

but if you have any other tips on places to stay or things to do, please do share. Thanks in advance

Vulnerability is the new strength

Offline MzB

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: More tips on Berlin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »
I do like a nice ripe doughnut peach.

How does one say that in German?

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »
apart from the usual, my must sees are the DDR Museum, look out for stories on plaques along where the wall used to be of escape attempts, the east side gallery (some of which is going to be demolished or maybe already has been) Hackescher Markt, the Pergamon Museum.

there is a gay bar near alexander platz that has been there since DDR times and is very weird.

spend time in Krauzberg cause that's a great area.

take bus 100 or 200 as they go to a lot of the major sites for the price of a standard bus fare.

if i think of other things i'll let you know!

but just get a good giude book and u will be fine.

Offline Hawa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »

just get a good giude book

Thank you for that top tip  :)

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
sorry didn't mean to be patronising just saying unlike some places the top things to do really are the ones mentioned as the top attractions in these guides!

plus lots of hidden gems but if u r going for the first time and assuming your not going for ages you could just go to the places highlighted in the guides as you won't be disappointed.

it is probably my favourite city apart from London and i have been several times but that is going back a few years and i can't remember what i did on all my previous visits.

and i can never remember the names of favourite cafes etc

Offline moonstormday

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »
I went in January just for a couple of days, fell in love with the streets and the energy, wish I could go back soon....there was this great cinema/bar I came across. I'll have a quick google....looks like it's 21 Veteranenstrasse.

There's also a bookshop called Ocelot in the same neighbourhood. Overpriced and hipster to the bones but pretty good selection.

Oh also there's a French cinema on the Kudamm. I don't know if you like going to the cinema on holiday, perso it's one of my favourite things to do (I'm sad- pretending to be a native!).

Offline byf

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »
The Kathe Kollwitz museum is great and so is Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island).
Always be kinder than necessary, for everyone you know is fighting some kind of battle.

PttG

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
Two bookshops:

http://www.prinz-eisenherz.com/
Well established, professional, clean, orderly, impeccable in every way and lovely staff.

http://www.anothercountry.de/index.htm
Eccentric, cavernous, dusty, smelly and altogether a wonderful Berlin ex pat institution. This interview with Sophie, the owner http://www.discodamaged.com/2010/04/dd-berlin-interview-sophie-changeling.html does not really do her justice.

While I was there, having a conversation about queer poetry, various people drifted in and out to discuss the bread order for dinner or Fritz Lang. It was that kind of place, actually, something like a queerer version of Shakespeare & Co in Paris. 

Offline Hawa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, moonstormday, byf and PttG. Not going for ages yet but am already so looking forward to it

having a conversation about queer poetry, various people drifted in and out to discuss the bread order for dinner or Fritz Lang

:)

Offline Hawa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
Well what a fantastic place

I loved it

There is just so much to see and do, I could easily spend another week there

Other tips - if you want to visit the Reichstag, book on-line in advance - saves queueing
And we walked the route of the wall, from East Side Gallery to Check Point Charlie - really interesting way to see how the city has developed, building over some sections, others are still wasteground

Scully

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2014, 12:10:44 AM »
I love Berlin. I hope to go back there soon.

Did you go to friedrichstein?

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »
I love Berlin. I hope to go back there soon.

Did you go to friedrichstein?

thats an area i really like

i was stuck in Berlin with the ash cloud (luckily staying with a friend so no extra hotel bills) and i discovered that area then for the first time.

Offline Hawa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
Scully, no we didn't go there.

Next time !