Author Topic: Bi-Curious me  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
Bi-Curious me
« on: Jun 20, 2013, 09:07:06 PM »
Tonight, 10pm C4.

Might be atrocious, might be rather interesting.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/w6ymb/bi-curious-me
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
Re: Bi-Curious me
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »
I thought this was going tube a bi-curious thread, which I thought was a brill idea.
Hope the program is good.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline Night Nurse

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Don't look at the eyes.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
Glad someone picked up on this. I totally forgot it was on.

I thought it wasn't bad. They covered various different bi experiences; one of the women was older (I really liked her, but I liked them all actually).

The title was a bit unrepresentative - I'm not sure how far "bi-curious" describes these three women's experiences; it strikes me that they all took it further than mere curiosity, but maybe it's just one of those words that's a bit vague and also a better hook to draw in audiences than Bisexual Me would have been.

As usual it was all about women! I live for the day when a newspaper story, magazine article or tv documentary about "bisexuality" focuses on men's experiences. Not ooh la-la enough? Honestly, you'd think bisexuality was an entirely female phenomenon. I'd be going nuts about the lack of representation if I was a bi man.
Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard, but I think...

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »
I found it a bit bland and uninspiring. Quite one dimensional really.  I also thought that they showed no experiences of Lesbians venturing into Bisexuality.

I really did not like the older woman. I felt for her husband though. I think she treated him rather badly when he came across as being quite accepting of her shifting sexuality.

I thought that starting the show by pointing out that lots of women are now into attending strip joints was really unnecessary and probably untrue. It is all spin and I suspect that was there to try and titillate the TV viewing audience. I just found it annoying and irrelevant. 

Offline Night Nurse

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Don't look at the eyes.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
You're right - the kind of bisexuality they were interested in was definitely the default "I thought I was straight but now I like girls (too)". I guess I just expect that from the telly, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd trust these programme-makers to handle the lesbian -> bisexual storyline. It's a harder tale to tell, as that Radio 4 programme presented by Jackie Clune last year illustrated.

It is true that a lot of women go to burlesque clubs now, isn't it? I don't think they said a lot of women go to strip clubs, but I might have missed that bc I was cooking  :). I thought the point was that the women they were filming decided to go on to a strip club, which is seen as male territory.

I don't think you get the whole story about anyone's relationship from a programme like this. It will have been heavily edited to tell an easy-to-grasp story. The older woman might have spoken at length about how she broke the news to her husband etc. I don't know. He didn't seem angry or hurt, in fact he totally admired her, and that says to me that it wasn't a bad ending, but who knows? You may be right.

I really liked the way the dark haired young woman's mother's homophobia was exposed, and the huge and painful impact this had on her ability to own her sexuality. I think a lot of people think homophobia doesn't affect bi people, or only half as much or something, but the programme showed really clearly how damaging it is. And I liked that she said it would be easier to be with a man but that she was nevertheless open to whoever she fell in love with.

Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard, but I think...

Offline ToothFairy

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2013, 03:29:10 AM »
I saw this programme too. I thought the funniest bit was when that woman just went up to another woman in the street and chatted her up. Because of course that's what us bisexuals do...!

I thought it was quite a good documentary despite being very set up and formulaic.

And yes, I did wonder where the bi men were! It seems that if bisexuality isn't titillating and involving lots of conventionally attractive women, the media aren't interested.

Offline eliza

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »

I have just seen the programme. I am amazed at how people just seemed like objects to be played with by the bi woman who was a dating coach. I think the generalisation that most women are bi curious was unintelligent. I am glad that this subject is being discussed though. The bravery of the parents was startling. They looked like home counties tories. I felt for the husband of the older woman aswell. Yes I have not heard about any bisexual men. This is bad of me to admit but I am more woman centered so if the men are not featured I am not unduly worried.( A bad thing to admit but hey I am working on it). I did get the feeling that certain participants were just waiting around for an acceptable male whilst they were having a whale of a time with women. I felt that they doc makers did not ask enough probing questions.

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2013, 06:17:35 AM »
I didn't see the programme so I am just commenting on the title.  I really dislike the term bi-curious - I can't take it seriously.  It appears to mean doubly curious.  It also seems a bit objectifying to me.

I would not want to be the object of 'curiosity' though I am happy to think of women or men exploring and finding out about their own desires and those of others, in ways that are new to them.   Experientially rather than curiously.

But others may not find it so - I am interested if I am just being inflexible on this.

birdwatcher

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »
^ I have no problem with the title.  (although I also didn't see the programme)  I suppose an organic development of bi-curiosity would be bi-experimentation should the opportunity arise...

amaya

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
I don't think its a good title.

Curious - is a word that could mean 'prying' or 'eager to know'.  Which sounds a bit wrong to me. 

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
Also, the women were far more than just curious.

kerfufflegoblin

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
Plus it sounds like a sexual orientation version of Despicable Me. Are there minions?