Author Topic: Famous bi women  (Read 3616 times)

Bizoute

Re: Famous bi women
« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
^It's a good question and one I was aware of when I was posting. I know of few out and proud bisexuals in the public eye now or historically. So some of the ones I've mentioned might not necessarily be defined as 'bisexual' (unless they choose that label by which to identify.) Rather maybe simply not straight. Which, as it goes is a catch-all label I occasionally use for myself: bi, queer, not-straight. Sometimes it's that final one that feels most important of all.

It's a funny one. 

Offline pixellite*

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • *datapunk
« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
^^ yes great questions - was looking forward to the sink-your-teeth-in discussion flourish in here..

It's interesting that there could be celebrity women whose behaviour has been all gay but their managers describe them as bisexual.. presumably the woman herself would have sanctioned anything the managers say.. the idea arose in my mind that maybe they had a conversation like:
Managers: so, you're having lots of public gay relations, but we don't really think describing you as a 'lesbian' to the press  would be the best thing for your profile.
She: why not?
M: it's ok that you're gay, it's just that, you get associated with you know, KD Lang, Ellen Degeneres, all the old lezzers... And then you lose your appeal as a sex object for your male fans.
She: so what are you saying? I'm not going to *not* be gay for my male fans!
M: how about we refer to you as bi? It's hip, it's queer, and it's a bit edgy. You know?
She: *sighing* alriiiight. But i'm still just gonna live my gay life!

That said, I imagine it's fairly common for some women to start out being bi and then just diving right in to Planet Lesbian and feeling so fulfilled there, they never go back.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2013, 08:53:55 PM by pixellite* »
..they gained appreciation of the fine structure of the cosmos which often eluded their male counterparts..

Bizoute

« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »

That said, I imagine it's fairly common for some women to start out being bi and them just diving right in to Planet Lesbian and feeling so fulfilled there, they never go back.

I did the opposite. In some ways I found the lesbian identity a more comfortable one to own; I was comfortable there. Relationships with men threw up a kind of claustrophobic assumed heteronormativity from surrounding quarters. All those man/woman cliches so many straight people spout! So toxic. I may not identify as gay any more but I hope I've got a fairly developed sort of take on gender, etc. I wish more of the (non-queer) world did.

Offline pixellite*

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • *datapunk
« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
^ Bizoute, that's sort of what I meant - I am not sure if I wrote it clearly.. ( so I am not sure what you mean by 'the opposite'?) and certainly I am experiencing *exactly* what you describe. In other words:

I've always been bi
Previously I never 'immersed' myself into the lezzer scene
Now that I am, I am SO much happier, more comfortable, and excited to be really giving my gay self space to flourish - I think I will stay here, in my gay identity. It's just easier and more delightful. For me.
..they gained appreciation of the fine structure of the cosmos which often eluded their male counterparts..

Bizoute

« Reply #19 on: Jun 08, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
Oh, by "opposite" I mean I aligned much more closely with the label of 'gay' for a while and then gradually that slipped into bi.

kerfufflegoblin

« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »
Amber Heard

Offline pixellite*

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • *datapunk
« Reply #21 on: Jun 08, 2013, 09:58:39 PM »
Oh, by "opposite" I mean I aligned much more closely with the label of 'gay' for a while and then gradually that slipped into bi.

Aaaaaaaah I geddit. Sorry - brain fail! Wow. That IS an interesting journey!
I must be honest, I think my brainfail was due to me just not imagining it that way round!
:)

onmyway

« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
I did it that way round too - I came out first as a lesbian and then later I came out as bisexual.

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
« Reply #23 on: Jun 10, 2013, 03:04:43 AM »
Night Nurse's questions are very good ones.  They are relevant of course to some of the women I shall mention here

Djuna Barnes  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Djunabarnes.jpg

HD the poet http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Hdpoet.jpg

Bryher

Bryher and HD were poly as well as bi. 

More names to come.

Offline Night Nurse

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Don't look at the eyes.
« Reply #24 on: Jun 10, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
^^ yes great questions - was looking forward to the sink-your-teeth-in discussion flourish in here..

It's interesting that there could be celebrity women whose behaviour has been all gay but their managers describe them as bisexual.. presumably the woman herself would have sanctioned anything the managers say.. the idea arose in my mind that maybe they had a conversation like:
Managers: so, you're having lots of public gay relations, but we don't really think describing you as a 'lesbian' to the press  would be the best thing for your profile.
M: it's ok that you're gay, it's just that, you get associated with you know, KD Lang, Ellen Degeneres, all the old lezzers... And then you lose your appeal as a sex object for your male fans.
M: how about we refer to you as bi? It's hip, it's queer, and it's a bit edgy. You know?

That said, I imagine it's fairly common for some women to start out being bi and then just diving right in to Planet Lesbian and feeling so fulfilled there, they never go back.

Ha ha! I imagine this is exactly how it goes. Have you been a fly on the wall, Pixellite?  ;)

It annoys me immensely that in this (presumed) scenario bisexuality is being constructed as "lesbian-lite" - ie. a more marketable, less unattractive or challenging version of lesbianism.

It's cr*p for lesbians and it's cr*p for bi women too.

I'm not v keen on the whole "everyone is bisexual" mantra, either, esp when mouthed by celebs who have never actually gone panty-zone with anyone who shares the same kind of genitals as them. I think it was Sue George* who said the problem is that if "everyone is bisexual" then nobody really is. It becomes meaningless. (Of course, that's only one of the problems with that trope - a lot of people would say actually I'm not bisexual, thanks. And fair enough.)

* http://suegeorgewrites.blogspot.co.uk/

Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard, but I think...

Offline pixellite*

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • *datapunk
« Reply #25 on: Jun 10, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
^ Interesting - a fly on the wall, to a leap of intuition..
I had been a tad worried that this hypothetical discussion would be somehow offensive or controversial, because actually I just made it up... Or maybe I am just feeling a bit wary at the moment....  ;)

I agree that it's utter bullsh1T to say 'everyone is bisexual'. That kind of platitude irritates me.

Bizoute

« Reply #26 on: Jun 10, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
I did it that way round too - I came out first as a lesbian and then later I came out as bisexual.

Yeah, my suspicion is that this isn't radically uncommon. I feel for some of us perhaps our sexuality is more fluctuating than others. I can totally understand the concept Pix describes, but for me though that makes sense to me emotionally (lesbianism feeling a safer world to emotionally.) However, I'm sexually attracted to both men and women and so really I just try to honour that. (Gosh, that makes me sound like I'm having loads more sex than I am! Obviously I just mean I try to be aware of my own sexuality and have mindful, aware sort of relationships.)

Mirror

« Reply #27 on: Jun 10, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »

Ha ha! I imagine this is exactly how it goes. Have you been a fly on the wall, Pixellite?  ;)

It annoys me immensely that in this (presumed) scenario bisexuality is being constructed as "lesbian-lite" - ie. a more marketable, less unattractive or challenging version of lesbianism.

It's cr*p for lesbians and it's cr*p for bi women too.

I'm not v keen on the whole "everyone is bisexual" mantra, either, esp when mouthed by celebs who have never actually gone panty-zone with anyone who shares the same kind of genitals as them. I think it was Sue George* who said the problem is that if "everyone is bisexual" then nobody really is. It becomes meaningless. (Of course, that's only one of the problems with that trope - a lot of people would say actually I'm not bisexual, thanks. And fair enough.)

* http://suegeorgewrites.blogspot.co.uk/

Panty Zone!  :D

I don't know if it is helpful to seek to define other people, and question whether they are really real bisexuals or not. Even if they are celebrities. Maybe, in their heads, they do fancy the same gender, even if they are in a relationship with the opposite. If they do not happen to act on it, I don't think you can judge their own definition.
Personally, I hope and expect my own lady-on-lady relationship will last forever, but it doesn't mean I'm happy to claim "lesbian" as my label. Though other people might look from the outside and say that.

Offline sherbert

• Pianist in training
  • Sin Bin
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • The ultimate pianist
« Reply #28 on: Jun 18, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »
I think Anne Heche is bisexual...
Never believe everything that you are told

Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today - Thomas Jefferson

slacker-onAndon