Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 3490 times)

Offline iSoul

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Mindfulness
« on: Apr 26, 2013, 01:00:10 AM »
Has anyone here heard of mindfulness? It's a type of meditation that's used during times of stress and for relaxation. The focus in on the breath and being aware of ones thoughts.
I'd be interested in starting a group where we could practice together and share experiences.
I'm in London and was thinking of having the meeting in a park somewhere central (weather permitting) if anyone's interested or can add anything please join the thread or send me a pm.
 :)

Offline wu wei

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
Sounds great. I follow a kind of buddhism that uses it along with other methods and I would totally love to meet in a park to meditate, if I am free.
Sisterhood feels good

Offline Phonix

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
Ditto I use many meditstions and visualisation. Often involing breathing techniques, body scan even tried celluar once. May like to dip in and out.

Love to live........ ;D ;D ;D Live to love.......... :-* :-* :-* <3<3<3

Offline BabyBoy

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • somewhere between butch and trans...
    • www.mandymccartin.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
My counsellor recently gave me a CD she had burnt herself, all about mindfulness techniques. When I tried to play it, it was totally blank. We had a laugh about that one. ;D

Parker

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2013, 10:15:22 PM »
It's one of those things I was gonna try at least once but haven't ever gotten round to..

Offline Nicky2126

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »
If I wasn't all the way in Bristol I'd loved to have joined In! Just listened to the audio book feel the fear and do it any way it's taught me how to think differently and train my mind to be positive and happy and I can actually say I feel great :-) and would like to keep it up, read that book it's great changed my life :-)

Offline RedRowan

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »
Mindfulness is powerful stuff... I came across it a few years back (in a book about managing chronic pain with mindfulness techniques), and have found it a wonderful meditative practice. I go to a weekly meditation group where we often use mindfulness techniques.

I'm just reading Thich Nhat Hanh's The Miracle of Mindfulness, which is good. Last year I read Jon Kabat-Zinn's Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life, which I also found useful.

I live outside London (just west of Reading) but if there were mindfulness meet-ups at weekends I'd be up for journeying in occasionally.
Pardon me! Would you get out of your way, please?
Breathe fire. Blow bubbles. Adore yourself. If you felt good then it was worth it.

valerie

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
sounds like a great idea. I think group meditation is very effective because it merges a goodness that comes from the strength of community. We are meant to be together as social beings and i believe the mysterious airwaves that transpire between us, facilitate a great strength.

Parker

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2013, 05:36:48 PM »
I'm not too sure of the difference between mindfulness and general meditation, but I tried some meditation I found in a QiGong book. Nifty!  :D I will probably continue.

Offline Magritte

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
would be up for it... never tried it but cant lose anything.... only can gain!!

Scully

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Get the app and get started!

http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/

whome?

« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
I find mindfulness the best way for me to meditate.  Focus on the breath... I need to focus on something or my mind wanders. 

Offline Tom

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
Sounds like Zen Buddhism to me. It has become one of the most practiced meditation techniques and philosophical approaches in the world today. I have found it to be a very powerful and useful meditation approach. The ultimate goal is to learn how to become unattached to our ego and our thoughts and ideas. Learning to watch my thoughts has taught me how to let go of them more easily. It obviously doesn't work all of the time yet, but I know that one day as I practice more the calmness I will experience will be well worth the work I put in.

RP

« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
Sounds like Zen Buddhism to me. It has become one of the most practiced meditation techniques and philosophical approaches in the world today. I have found it to be a very powerful and useful meditation approach. The ultimate goal is to learn how to become unattached to our ego and our thoughts and ideas. Learning to watch my thoughts has taught me how to let go of them more easily. It obviously doesn't work all of the time yet, but I know that one day as I practice more the calmness I will experience will be well worth the work I put in.

Know any places where they actually teach you this stuff, like proper teaching? I don't wanna DIY this stuff.

I've seen martial arts schools where the teachers will only accept students willing willing to learn the serious meditative/spiritual aspects of it. I've always wanted to join that kind of place but the ones I've seen are in America mostly. I reckon if I did it'd be the best thing I ever did though.

Offline Jaques

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
There are Buddhist groups all round the world who teach meditation techniques - you dont have to be buddhist.  From the late 80's I used to attend a monastery on a regular basis and now meditate at home - I have been practicing quigong now for around 4 years, its a little like tai chi, a moving meditation which is very good for both body and mind.  Mindfulness is really just about letting the thoughts which enter your head go, without judgement, just learning to be in the moment, its not as easy as it sounds as our minds are always full of "stuff" but with practice it does get easier - which makes us able to see things more clearly, understand ourselves & others better & as well as being a real eye opener, it can really open up the heart too