Author Topic: What have you achieved today?  (Read 147138 times)

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: What have you achieved today?
« Reply #4200 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »
- Put some bits away
- Washed up
- Cleaned the surfaces
- Trimmed threads off some new shorts
- Started the process of returning a T shirt I bought
- Made a list for tomorrow

Offline Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4201 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
Going to the shop without being approached by women asking me for money.

oldbutnew...

« Reply #4202 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
Sorry to sound harsh but once you start handing money to these people they will hound you.

Offline Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4203 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »
Yes. I realise that now. It's just a shame one of them knows where I live. She asked to borrow my phone one day and I didn't have it on me so she came back to my building with me. I told her to wait there (outside) and I came up to get it. Then, she came back another day and knocked on my door but I didn't answer when I could see it was her through the spy hole and she didn't know for sure which door was mine. Now she does, after she came in when I had left the security door open for my cats and my front door was open. She said excuse me in her horrible voice and I had no choice but to go to the door. She told me she was homeless once and when I told my mother, she said so why did she ask you for 10 last week for her electricity?

Hmmmmmm.

She also told me her daughter was in the hospital and asked if she could use my Oyster card. I told her there was only about 2 on there and then she said oh, I don't need it but I will have a pound instead so I gave it to her.  ::)

oldbutnew...

« Reply #4204 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »
If you carry on doing this word will get round and they will all be asking you for money.    I tell beggars to naff off if they ask me for money

Offline Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4205 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
I'm not giving her or any other beggar any more money.  8)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #4206 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »
@ Marty: I accidentally discovered a good way to make beggars stop hassling me. If they ask me for money, I start telling them which organizations should be able to help them. In both the UK and the Netherlands, nobody should be starving, there is help. We pay taxes which partly fund help for low income groups.

Admittedly, the people I have had this conversation with have always been people on the metro who don't speak Dutch, so I start with the fact they need to register with for a national insurance number. They always get off at the next stop.

Not entirely sure if this will work on the woman who knows where you live, but you could be kind at the same time as refusing to give her money, if you prefer. Tell her it's illegal to give her money so you won't be doing that ever again, but offer her a sandwich the same as you eat yourself instead.

Funnily enough, sharing my lunch has the same 'get off at the next stop' effect as my attempt at giving helpful advice. I would call this a win-win except it's rather sad. More like a lose-lose, really :-*

Offline Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4207 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
I don't like to answer my door to anyone and I keep the buzzer turned off as it is very loud and people would press it for no reason or it was cold callers like energy companies. I only turn the buzzer on if I am expecting a supermarket delivery.

This woman has probably pressed the buzzer many times but got no reply and she cannot get into the building by herself after 2pm. The last time she knocked, I had left the security door open for my cats and when I went to the door, she asked for money and I nearly got into an argument with her. She was asking me questions and I said, why are you asking me these questions? and she said she was just being friendly. I said, I told you I don't want any friends and she said do you have mental health problems? (probably because I was standing behind the door with the chain on and wouldn't look at her.) I said no and she said, Oh I do.

When she asked me for 10, I asked why she is not on benefits and that is when she said she was homeless. I said you can still get benefits if you are homeless. Then she was telling me other things and I said I don't know why you are telling me all this. I cannot help you and I don't want anyone knocking on my door. I have noticed that she gets herself into the building and knocks on my door at about 8am on Fridays and Saturdays so I will be expecting her to do the same this week.

I have decided that the next time she asks for money, I'm going to say it is illegal to beg and it's even worse to keep knocking on someone's door to beg for money. I will offer her a sandwich or packet of biscuits instead. :D

Thanks Lust for Life.

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4208 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
^ I hope she leaves you alone after that.

Offline Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4209 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
Thanks.  :)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4210 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:11:05 AM »
Today was our first day of having a paid cleaner in our house :D This means that what I achieved is:
Floor! So that she could hoover it :D
Loads of tidying in order to get to this point.
Tidying up and repotting loads of plants which hadn't been moved in a year. I have not done anything with plants in years, I leave that to my wife as she is better at it, likes it, and is not scared of spiders. But she has been so busy making sure her mum gets the care she needs, and working, and doing other stuff in the house, that she hasn't been able to do this.

This meant that not only did I pay someone else to clean my house for 2 hours, I also spent 3 hours on it myself. Which means 5 hours cleaning happened for the price of two ;D

After this I did loads of work, and went to work, and met my new students for two classes which I will teach for 3 months.

Top day!

Now I just need to get the two urgent jobs done for tomorrow which I have been avoiding with all this activity :-\

It's already gone midnight and I am fannying about on here ::)

Edited for maths error🙂
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2018, 10:10:47 PM by Lust for Life »

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #4211 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:55:41 PM »
- Went to corner shop to buy some items
- Went to tesco express to do shopping
- Cleaned a shelf
- Cleaned the surfaces
- Made a milkshake
- Washed up
- Cleaned fish out
- Went to shopping centre to get toiletries

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4212 on: May 03, 2018, 01:26:21 AM »
I managed to get to Caledonian Road by 10.30am after setting off at 8am via the M1.

But more importantly, I managed to reverse park, first time, into the tightest space between parked cars, with a London bus bombing up my backside.

Never managed that before.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4213 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:39 AM »
A 12 hour road trip :D

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4214 on: May 07, 2018, 01:13:20 AM »
A 12 hour road trip :D
from where to where?
The most permanent characteristic in life is change.