Author Topic: 21st December 2012...one year to go!!!  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Plus One

• Gingerbeer Goddess
21st December 2012...one year to go!!!
« on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »

Domesday, Armaqeddon, End of Days...

Do you think there's a cut off date for the species, a slow decline, a natural catastophe?

Do you believe in the whole 2012 thing or did the Mayan thing that probably 5,000 years was long enough to plan ahead?

If there is a cut off date and we knew it and it wasn't a joke or guess but fact, what would you do with your final year?

:)

valerie

Re: 21st December 2012...one year to go!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »

Domesday, Armaqeddon, End of Days...

Do you think there's a cut off date for the species, a slow decline, a natural catastophe?

Do you believe in the whole 2012 thing or did the Mayan thing that probably 5,000 years was long enough to plan ahead?

If there is a cut off date and we knew it and it wasn't a joke or guess but fact, what would you do with your final year?

:)
There is going to be a change, not necessarily Armageddon.  The end of the world has already been predicted at least 100 times in our literate history. The Mayans were smart when it came to their engineering. BUT, check out their torture methods. their sacrifices. I am not saying they are alone in our history, but i thing 12/21/12 are simply interesting numbers

Offline Plus One

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:25:06 PM »
Hm, there is a nice symmetry with numbers at the beginning of new centuries but the end of the Mayan calendar is unlikely to have anything to do with the CE way fo counting...still, I'm sure Mexico will do well with tourism this year!  :D

valerie

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
Hm, there is a nice symmetry with numbers at the beginning of new centuries but the end of the Mayan calendar is unlikely to have anything to do with the CE way fo counting...still, I'm sure Mexico will do well with tourism this year!  :D
i believe you are right on!

Obélix

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
The end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar simply means that the Mayas, if they were still around as a state, would start the next cycle. Kind of like the millennia in the current western calendar, which is entirely arbitrary anyway. I'm not quite sure how they fixed on the year of Jesus of Nazareth's birth, but we now know that it's out by about 7 years, so 21 Dec 2012 really should have happened back in 2005. :) The numbers dont mean anything.

... the end of the world has already been predicted at least 100 times in our literate history. ... i thing 12/21/12 are simply interesting numbers

Exactly.

If this was my final year, I'd probably charge round the world trying to see as much of it as I could; make sure I got to see all my friends (theyre quite scattered far & wide) & eat a lot of ice cream. And I'd change my degree to Archaeology.

valerie

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »
i think just like love, death, friendship, career paths ,etal are all surprises to some extent, there will be no end of the world...perhaps a meteor will hit,perhaps we will have too much or not enough water...who knows?
        But,whatever, most of life is serendipitous other than the idea that history repeats itself in some ways, i.e. class struggle

Offline Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
If it was my last year, I'd do lots of things I wouldn't do (deliberately) normally - like go to prison for a bit and run up tens of thousands of pounds of debt (to pay back over 25 non-existent years) and telling people what I really think.

I worry about the end of the world.  Not the dying bit.  I worry about surviving it and becoming a canibal mutant or something.

Obélix

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:38:46 AM »
I couldnt quite resist this one  ;D

"There was only space until the year 2012." - "Ha! That's going to cause panic one day."

valerie

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing,Penguin...very funny ;D

Magenta71

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 01:44:53 AM »
I never believe these end of the year things. It's funny tho because lots of people seem to reading lots into the extreme weather and earthquakes and stuff.

If 2012 is our last year on the planet I think I'll die happy.

valerie

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »
I never believe these end of the year things. It's funny tho because lots of people seem to reading lots into the extreme weather and earthquakes and stuff.

If 2012 is our last year on the planet I think I'll die happy.
Before mass media, there were just as many extreme weather events. We just didn't know about them.
Magenta, you have good reason not to believe these eschatological, apocalyptic, orbital attacks, etal. They have been forecasted for many centuries. In literature,i know of 2 catastrophes & they were floods,Noah& Deucalion. There are many. Someone could probably write a book,right now  entitled,"The World has almost ended"< actually , that is not very catchy but i am on my first cup of joe.