Author Topic: ID - just butch or femme?  (Read 21194 times)

Offline kr

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Forever
ID - just butch or femme?
« on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »
I ran through the recent threads and found that most ID related topics are about being butch or femme. aren't there more identities that one could be?
“"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worth while?"
Death thought about it "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE”
(Terry Pratchett)

Offline Stevie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Stone Butch
Re: ID - just butch or femme?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
Plenty,start a thread  :)
Maybe Stevie already is everybody's ex?

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »
Yes please do start a thread about that!  People who I D as butch or femme can't write about IDs they don't have.   We like talking about our IDs, it doesn't mean they are the only ones.

Offline kr

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Forever
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
I don't feel like a butch or a femme, but reading all these threads just got me confused - maybe I DO have to fall into one of those categories. I had to remind myself, that I shouldn't. but then, what do people think about other IDs?
“"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worth while?"
(Terry Pratchett)

Offline Jenny Talia

• I was born the same year that homosexuality was removed as a disorder from the DSM
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
  • No, that's just perfectly normal paranoia...
    • Planet London
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
I always think I should have another ID, but then I don't know what other ID's are!

We should make some new ones.
You may be wondering what a map of the trade winds of the North Atlantic is doing on page 134 of a book entitled Is Sex Necessary? In our opinion a map of the trade winds is equally useful in understanding women as a cross section of the female anatomy -James Thurber

Nothing risqué, nothing gained

Offline kr

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Forever
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2011, 10:00:30 PM »
I guess that is the problem. butch and femme are very clear. everything else seems a bit unclear. so, where do we fall non-butch and non-femme people?
(Terry Pratchett)

Offline purelybyaccident

• Gingerbeer w*nker
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • There's still some good mileage left.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2011, 10:35:25 PM »
You don't have to be anything kr, you can be plain ol' lesbian, full stop. There are probably more perfectly happy with being just that then there those that define themselves as butch or fem.

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
I ID as genderqueer as I feel like a mix of genders but not wanting to leave my bio gender I just feel genderqueer
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

drama umbrella

« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »
I guess that is the problem. butch and femme are very clear. everything else seems a bit unclear. so, where do we fall non-butch and non-femme people?

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAhahahaaaaa!  ;) Sorry. No they aren't. if they were, everyone would know what they were. Trust me, it varies from brain to brain, sub-culture to sub-culture, country to country etc... and there is no consensus of what one is.

there's tons more ID's. bear, mummy, daddy, leather clone, gender queer, diesel dyke, tomboy, bulldagger, lipstick, mistress, princess, haus frau, genderqueer,  you could call yourself a tuna tumbler, a magic bus, a giant mushroom, a joker, a smoker, a midnight toker. I called myself a diesel femme for years.

Offline Jenny Talia

• I was born the same year that homosexuality was removed as a disorder from the DSM
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
  • No, that's just perfectly normal paranoia...
    • Planet London
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2011, 12:11:20 AM »
I called myself a diesel femme for years.

And I was a truck driver femme.
You may be wondering what a map of the trade winds of the North Atlantic is doing on page 134 of a book entitled Is Sex Necessary? In our opinion a map of the trade winds is equally useful in understanding women as a cross section of the female anatomy -James Thurber

Nothing risqué, nothing gained

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2011, 12:12:11 AM »
I never got what diesel meant?
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

drama umbrella

« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
It doesn't matter.  :) a lot of people don't understand femme or butch either. I don't think it's worth explaining, the words "for me" don't go too far.

Offline purelybyaccident

• Gingerbeer w*nker
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • There's still some good mileage left.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »
On re reading my earlier post I think I ought to clarify that I wasn't saying there are less butch or fems happy with their definition, but that there are probably more people defining themselves as plain ol' lesbian rather than butch or fem and who are perfectly happy with that. In end effect, every thing is just a personal description of what you feel you are.

Offline kr

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Forever
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »
I guess having an ID, having a word that you call yourself, you identify with a certain group of women. it brings a sense of belonging. some don't need it, I guess at times I still do. hence the ID issue :D
(Terry Pratchett)

Offline BabyBoy

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • somewhere between butch and trans...
    • www.mandymccartin.com
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
As others have said, butch and femme is very varied too. Belonging to it doesn't always bring a sense of er...belonging at all.  :-\
Just be yourself and see how it goes, maybe it will become clear in time, maybe it never will. Don't wish a pigeonhole on yourself. It can be as much a problem as an identity. I often wish I wasn't hard wired to femmes, it would be a lot easier to find a date.....