Author Topic: Perimenopausal/Menopausal/Postmenopausal - Conversations Amongst Ourselves  (Read 24249 times)

Offline Tired & Confused

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
^Two things that helped me, changing from using ordinary salt to sea salt, and getting to bed before midnight. (The salt is clearly the easier one!) I'd previously been dismissive of salt differences, believing that things like pink crystals from the Himalayas or flakes from Maldon, couldn't really be that chemically different from the cheap stuff but I've been proven entirely wrong.

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Really? Wow never heard of that one. But then i have used sea salt for years, so probably havent noticed.
V interesting though. Glad it helped you!

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
A friend of mine has recommended increasing my vitamin D intake (she swears by it), so I've invested in some tablets.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
A friend of mine has recommended increasing my vitamin D intake (she swears by it), so I've invested in some tablets.
Make sure they are D3 rather than the inferior D2
I find the spray REALLY good (get it in h and b) as its nice and minty and you dont need water!

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
According to the NHS website there are 12 main symptoms of menopuase (or perimenopause).
I have 9 of them. Plus very heavy periods every 25 days - the most regular I've ever been in my life. Oh the irony.
In a way I am quite comforted, because otherwise all these things would be quite worrying. If they are all menopause-related then I can live with them, unpleasant though they might be.

Now, this weird: I looked up the nhs list and found I could tick 9 or 10 too. So I am going to explain my unreasonable positivity about menopause with the difficulty in concentrating (in order to reach a sensible conclusion)  ::) ;D

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Thanks for the tips, Vickilipstick - I'm glad to say it's D3 I've got :)

Haha, LfL, if you're ticking 9 or 10 off that list and feeling fine about it all, then I admire your stoicism! Although it could be that your symptoms are mild. I mentioned night sweats to a friend recently, for example, and she nodded sympathetically, but when I described mine she was horrified! Her 'night sweats' are getting a bit hot in bed while mine are waking up having sweated so much my bedding is soaked and I have to get up and change the sheets! :-[

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
I used to have to change my sheets too. And turn the quilt over and lay on towels. It was really horrendous. V glad i lived on my own as it would have been awful for my partner.
Now i just swap sides as it isnt dripping, but uncomfy.

Its the cold that wakes you up isnt it?! Well it was me. Your so wet that you start to get cold.  :'(

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Yes, that's exactly it. I've done the sleeping on towels thing too :-\

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
I think it helps that I am a slob and that my symptoms are milder than yours, Musette (but stronger than your friend's).  I get hot and sweaty enough that my whole body is wet, so I uncover myself till I am feeling chilly, then recover myself. I think sleeping naked helps, otherwise the rapid cooling off wouldn't work. I kind of find it fascinating to observe.

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Were you getting hot flushes before your periods stopped?
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
It's hard to say as I messed with my hormones as soon as my cycle got messed up. I tried the pill first, which gave me night sweats. I tried the mirena coil after that. I don't think I had them once I stopped with the pill. I left the mirena in for a year after it was officially giving out any hormones and thought it was still working as my periods didn't come back (they had pretty much stopped years earlier but that is common with a mirena). I don't remember now if the hot flushes started before or after getting the mirena removed.

Sorry, that's not very helpful at all is it? :-\

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
The worst part is just not knowing how long the symptoms will go on. I just turned 50 and i have had them over 4 years already, yet still get bloody periods every month. So i daresay there are still years rather than months left. Some get symptoms even when they stop. Just not fair is it  :'(

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
^ sounds like me, Vicklipstick. I'm 51 and having been getting symptoms for at least 2 years but still get my period every 25 days. So who knows how long this will go on for? My mum and her mum had both had hysterectomies by this age, so I've no family history to go on (if that's even a factor).

My (straight, cis, female) friend who recommended the vitamin D uses HRT patches and, somewhat counter-intuitively, also takes testosterone.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
I realized when I was upstairs on a bus and felt queasy in that morning sickness way  :-X
then periods went from 28 clockwork days to all over the place
and night sweats became 24 hr anytime sweats
Smells and sounds became very intense

trial and error I found calcium and vit D high potency multi and most helpful dong quai-all best quality and no shortcuts on nutrition

hot flushes can go for years
learn to wear easy on/off layers

yeah-sea salt! it's great in a foot soak before bed-your body takes in all the trace minerals and the soak is relaxing

when periods finally stop it is so worth it
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2017, 09:11:24 PM by Grey »

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Aha, that's why I am not really bothered by all these symptoms! I hated bleeding, and it looks like I cheated the system big time with that Mirena coil. I have had one (not extra heavy, not extra long, not painful) period in the last 7 or 8 months, and before that (with the mirena) about 5 years of occasional spotting.

So I am not weird or mad, I really am suffering less, despite the symptoms.

I hope you get some respite soon, Musette and everyone else.