Author Topic: Perimenopausal/Menopausal/Postmenopausal - Conversations Amongst Ourselves  (Read 25655 times)

Offline Blue Heron

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • image shack
Has anyone experienced palpitations when Perimenopausal?

Thanks RCx

^
Yes, me.  I have been getting these recently and wondered whether it could be to do with the perimenopause.  I did look it up on the web and found numerous sites on palpitations quite a few of them quality medical sites.  Most seemed to suggest it was nothing to worry about(so long as you had no other symptoms like light headedness or pain). Although you should get it checked out (which I am in the process of doing). 

I also found a site where women were talking about menopausal symptoms (find it hard to find an alternate word!) and a number had experienced palpitations.  Can't find this site now.  There were also sites for people who had them regularly unrelated to perimenopause and quite a few thought they could be related to a number of things including insomnia, diet (eating too much 'white' stuff - high glycemic index foods), alcohol consumption, too much caffeine or high blood pressure. 

Fortunately I don't have high blood pressure but I am trying to cut down my tea consumption especially after around 4pm and my alcohol consumption (except for special occasions). 

Apart from the palpitaitions I have so far been lucky and not suffered from any night sweats although I do get hot from time to time during the night and have to throw the sheet off and then pull it back on half an hour later.  ::)  I also have insomnia pretty badly from time to time and even when it is better I rarely sleep more than 4 to 4.5 hours in one stretch. 

Fortunately don't seem to be having any emotional effects (rages, depresssions etc) unless one counts me shouting at this woman cyclist this weekend in Hyde Park for dinging her bell at me impatiently while I was skating in front of her on a crowded pathway, like she owned the pathway!  ;D ;D

It was a bit surprising to find myself doing that but at the same time it felt quite good to be standing up for myself.  Perhaps I can call that a mini power surge.  ;D

I don't so far feel inclined to keeping spreadsheets etc as I spend most of my day doing spreadsheets .  I do keep the odd note in my diary of when my period comes which is not at all regular these days.  Over the last two or three years I have been getting them variously every 6 weeks, 2 months, once I went three months and a couple of times every two weeks.  I am now 54.  In my mid forties I did also have a time when they were extremely heavy and I had flooding a number of times where I had to get off the bus and find a toilet quickly.  Now I think I am very near the end as the last few have not really been periods at all.  They have been 'regular' on the month which is surprising but they have been so light as to be virtually non existent.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2011, 06:57:47 AM by Blue Heron »

Offline Blue Heron

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • image shack
I'm not normally a fan of celebrities but I read this Oprah article below

http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/Be-Aware-for-Perimenopause/2

Not that I need to worry about 'birth control'  ;D,  but I did like her comments further down the article:

"Perimenopause is your body's way of shifting your full attention back onto your well-being. "When you don't take care of your body in your twenties," Northrup says, "you can get away with it. But as you move toward your forties, your body says, 'If you keep this up, I'm gonna make you old—but if you stop now, you'll get a second chance.'"

"But I've discovered that the approach of menopause is a knock at the door that can prompt you to finally create the life you've always wanted. This is your moment to reinvent yourself after years of focusing on the needs of everyone else—your mate, your children, your boss. "

I like those comments:  for myself I feel exercise is even more important at this time of life than before and I think helps with some of the effects of periomenopause.  I am also very keen to stay as fit as possible because it dawned on me one day that if I didn't I might not be able to do those things I love doing that I have so far taken for granted.  Like being able to walk up Snowdon on a whim for instance.  Now of course I am likely to be very stiff for several days after, even if I keep fit, but I want to be able to do this sort of thing for many years to come.

So I work out in the gym doing weight lifting (which is good for the bones/muscles etc) and circuit training style exercises including sit ups, push ups, pull ups and squats.  Squats are supposed to be one of the best exercises one can do.  But if you're not into the gym walking is excellent exercise if you do it regularly enough and I managed to loose half a stone in 6 months by just walking for 2 hours 2 or 3 times a week. 

My current aim/ambition is for 'A decent set of Abs by 60'!   ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2011, 07:44:06 AM by Blue Heron »

dukovearl

I can certainly identify with this.

"But I've discovered that the approach of menopause is a knock at the door that can prompt you to finally create the life you've always wanted. This is your moment to reinvent yourself after years of focusing on the needs of everyone else—your mate, your children, your boss. "

And that the perimenopause seems to be much a longer and more gradual evolution than I had expected. I think my expectations were based more on the surrounding silence than any actual information though. I did have a phase of headaches, several years ago now, then a phase of almost ridiculous flooding (my mum also experienced that) and now, just heavy but irregular periods. No hot flushes. Yet, perhaps; it's all a bit mysterious.

Because I don't think I am ill and I also don't like the 'symptoms' word or the medical model of health, I have charted nothing and taken nothing, or maybe it's just because of my temperament, or laziness or something, but GP, I am interested to read your journey and to learn what terminology Lesley Kenton uses.

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
The other major change was not needing much sleep. But my menopause coincided with the advent of the www in the uk so it is hard to know if it isn't that too keeping me awake. 

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Just a short reply, in between working.

Re. the use of 'symptom' - within the context of the current discourse about menopause (at least the one that I have been exposed to) - it creates for me a sense of dis-ease and 'othering' of the process.
Neither of which capture what I am experiencing. That's not my process.

It also makes me feel somewhat disempowered - as though some monolithic medical model is capable of doing what I cannot - prescribing and describing my process.

Re. the 'medicating' myself - I don't understand what I am doing in those terms. I understand what I am doing in terms of reading/researching/introspecting/learning. Part of the results of that process have led me to entertain the oestrogen dominance theory - please have a look at some of the books and related sites on this subject.

Put very simply, progesterone and the oestrogens in our systems, if in balance, help our bodies.
Environmental pollutants, particularly derivatives of petrochemicals, have created 'mock' oestrogens which have tipped the balance in our body's systems.
It is this, that causes some of the 'symptoms' we associate with menopause, not menopause itself.

Yes?
But please, I would invite people to do some of their own reading and lay claim to their own knowledge.

And that's another pertinent question - how many of us read around our hormonal health?
Yes? No?

Jeez GP. I know I used the word 'confuseld' earlier but I am not stupid.

"Re. the 'medicating' myself " - I was refering to the progesterone that you said that you had purchased.
"She walked in through the out door, out door.."

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
Hey two monkeys.
Re. the progesterone - as I understand it, the hormonal imbalance that might cause some of the sensations that are associated with menopause, are actually a result of estrogen dominance. And that is caused not by the menopause process, but by xenoestrogens in the environment and, in some cases, the use of synthetic estrogen used in some HRTs. It is a culmalative and additive process which 'tips the balance' at around the same time as menopause.

I'm experiencing some physical events - the headaches, the insomnia, the change in skin texture on my hands, the slight vertigo - that I think are a result of estrogen dominance. To re-balance this, I'm trialing some bioidentical progesterone.

Not sure if that answers your question?
Re. thinking you're stupid, I don't.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

braveandcrazy

Very probably perimenopausal.  Nice regular cycle gone to pot and suddenly I have cramps again.  No hot flushes though I tolerate heat less easily. Understand the skin on hands thing.  How did that happen?! Maintaining weight is also becoming a bit of a nightmare. Oestrogen needing to be stored in fat is probably to blame.  Though why my body doesn't realise oestrogens are everywhere and there's no need to lay down extra fat to store it like its going out of fashion.  Now progesterone is an entirely different matter.  Will be starting to use bioidentical progesterone to keep levels topped up on a 14 day on 14 off basis.  Not having the synthetic stuff (which is only there to make money for the pharma giants).

<--- steps off perimenopausal soap box

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
Yea!
Someone else that's using the bioidentical progesterone!
I'm starting it tomorrow and using it on the same cycle as you, braveandcrazy.

What reading have you done around the area?
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

braveandcrazy

^^ I started using Serenity 18months ago but it was probably too early for me so I stopped.  Now thinking that it may be time to start again.  I found that it did regularise my cycle and my skin was less dry and uncomfortable. I get my bioidentical progesterone from Wellsprings http://www.progesterone.co.uk/

I have the books you quoted in your opening post plus Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Dr Christiane Northrup.  I'm planning on avoiding HRT when the time comes, so am always on the look out for new and useful information.

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
That's where I bought my Tub O'Goo!
Yea!
Progesterone Twin!
 :D

It's all making for very interesting reading.
Much food for thought.
I have really begun to tease out the symptoms of oestrogen dominance, and the signs that I am perimenopausal.

But in anticipation of entering this new phase of my body's life, I want to be well - and that means that I need to address the possible oestrogen dominance. It also means I;m looking more carefully at my diet and what I need from it for a body that is 40+ years old and one that will be 50/60/70/80/90+ years old.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

braveandcrazy

Oestrogen dominance is a concern; all the oestrogen mimickers out there in plastics, drinking water, chemicals. HRT just exacerbates the problem. I was told never to wrap food with a high fat content in cling film (or buy food wrapped in plastic) as the fat helps leach the nasties out of the plastic and into the food. 

I worry about the side effects of the synthetic progesterone/oestrogen combo.

And I am heartened that bioidentical progesterone is meant to increase bone density rather than just maintain diminishing bone levels.

Lots of stuff.  I'm glad you started this thread  :)

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
I'm very glad I started it too - and very glad you're posting. I thought I might be the only one out there looking into this stuff.
I think I was blessed with a good gene pool - my nan is 93 and amazing.
But, I do think it my responsibility to invest in the next 30-50 years of my body's lifetime and take advantage of whatever nature gave me.

I'll let you know how I get on with the cream, shall I?
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

braveandcrazy

Yes, I'm from a good gene pool too.  My Mum looks amazing at 72.

I agree with you about taking care of what nature gave us.  For me, that also means general lifestyle changes; alcohol, cigarettes, exercise and my diet per se.

Would love to know how you get on with Serenity.  And I'll do the same!

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
I have a Perimenopause Buddy.
Oh joy!
 ;D
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

braveandcrazy