Author Topic: Perimenopausal/Menopausal/Postmenopausal - Conversations Amongst Ourselves  (Read 25078 times)

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
Has anyone experienced palpitations when Perimenopausal?

Thanks RCx

You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline tofu

• Gingerbeer Goddess
i'm 42 and still have very regular periods

but one of my sisters was younger than me when her menopause started and she suffered badly, my 2 other sisters started slightly later and went on hrt...my mum gave birth to me when she was 44 (i was a menopause baby)

my own cycle is very regular and hasn't really changed since i gave birth to my son almost 12 years ago...i don't have cramps or any kind of pain and i have very light periods...

however, over the last six months i have noticed my moods changing over the month with marked dips, and i've also noticed my skin becoming drier, and i'm wondering if this is the start of things
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
I had 'flooding' - incredibly heavy periods gushing through clothes when I stood up, a couple of times - in my mid forties.  Periods stopped at about 48 or 49.  I was in a new long term rel and my dad had a stroke and was in a care home and died 10 months later so I had a lot on my mind any way. I also had a uterine polyp that bled after my period stopped (bled after sex so I suspected something) and I needed an exploratory op in case it was malignant and couldn't have it straight away because they found my blood pressure was sky high and had to be brought down with medication. It all worked out and polyp was benign but it was a worrying time.  Not to put the wind up anyone but do have your BP checked as sometimes the hormone changes seem to lead to raised BP. 

I didn't have any hot flushes and assumed I wouldn't but they kicked in abouit 4 years later when I was 53 ish. I still have them very occasionally and I'm 64. Perhaps they are fading out at last.

I welcomed the changes generally. But I did have sopme emotional effects which I was very reluctant to put down to menopause because of misogyny and stereotypes.  But I think:

I was easily angered and felt 'outraged' at work and on public transport.  Had great difficulty not flying off the handle.  I never hsd HRT (all kinds of risks plus I've had a thrombosis already aged 17). It has gone now and I feel calm.

I was impatient in meetings and always had masses to say and real difficulty containing it. Had problems 'suffering fools gladly' which you often have to do in meetings ;).   This too has gone.  Now I fall asleep in meetings if someone is doing a boring presentation LOL.  Back then I would have been _burning_ with irritation. 

I was reluctant to discuss these things as menopausal because of the idea of women at the mercy of their hormones and people saying 'she's going through the change poor thing'. But I can see how different I was from beforev and now, after.  I wish in some ways I had claimed my menopause rage and celebrated it as a wild and crazy witchy energy. It was not easy though and I  regret to say I have lost my temper eg with bus drivers who did not stop when I rang the bell.   

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
^ Perhaps TMI Evan?  Posting very personal stuff about yourself is one thing, but about your parents just feels very inappropriate.  You might like to reconsider the last two sentences? Just a thought. 
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
The more I've read on the area over the years, the less I am convinced by the 'estrogen drop' theory, and the more I am persuaded by the 'estrogen dominance' theory.... To the point where I'm going to conduct a wee experiment on myself.

I'm pretty clued up on my own mood/body cycle, so Ive ordered the natural progesterone that I trust, and I'll create my wee 'self-analysis spreadsheet' to mark the next 6 months, whilst using it.

In for a penny, in for a pound, and all that! I ordered it last night.
Watch this space!
Very happy to share my experience, because I think it is really difficult to get 1st person testimony on this.

Are there any biochemists, endocrinologists or doctors on gb that want to offer their expertise?
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
GP, you haven't said, are you actually feeling menopausal or have any symptoms??
"She walked in through the out door, out door.."

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
Hey two monkeys.
I should clarify that, shouldn't I?  ::)

I noticed about a year ago that the skin texture on, particularly, my hands, had changed - it reminded me of my mother's. At around the same time I noticed that my bleeding was somewhat lighter and that I had both headaches and insomnia around day 27 of my cycle, and also sometimes at ovulation.

I've been monitoring the charges over the past year and am pretty certain they are not linked to diet or activity or stress. I suspect that the reason might be hormonal.

The past 3 months I have particularly noticed the insomnia and headaches, and so have decided to do pursue my reading (it had been on the long finger since I moved to the UK) and this week, I decided to commit to trying a natural, bioidentical progesterone supplement. Whatever my body doesn't use will be excreted and, as far as my reading goes, at the doses I'll be taking it, it's non-toxic.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
The hands! The skin thing is really weird!

I am very interested in your explorations. I had a look into it all maybe last year? but it really confuseld me and I tossed the book in a corner...... ::)

However, I seem to have been shunted off a plateau and down another slope of rapid change in the last month or so and feel I need to get to grips with it all.

I admire the fact that you are 'embracing your inner crone' and on some levels I feel I am ready to do that (after a life time of being in a kind of denial about the fact that I am female) but actually I am also feeling really angry about having another upheaval in my life caused by hormones that I have little/no control over.  Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this 'life' thingie...........dammit  ::)

Maybe there should be a meet?

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
I'm very happy to organise a meet - perhaps something informal? I 'potluck' at my home?

Let's see how this develops.

In any case, I might have turned into a blissed out progesterone evangelist by then...or else be rather labile and not the best hostess! lol.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline Jules™

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
A meet up sounds good to me.

Ah yes, the hands.  I was trying not to notice mine.....

I recently said -jokingly - to my mum that from now on the menopause would be my excuse for everything. She said, "that's not a very attractive excuse".   :)

But I don't feel like that - I have met too many women who have no embarrasement about discussing their symtoms.

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
I'm not sure about the use of the word 'symptom'.
It seems to me to chime too much with medicalising a perfectly normal process in my body - I don't much care for the approach.

Thoughts?
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
What's a good word instead?

eta- also, if it's a perfectly normal process in the body, why are you going to medicate yourself for it? (I'm not being sarky, that's a genuine question)
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2011, 07:56:55 PM by two monkeys »

Offline Jules™

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
I would have thought waking up at 4pm in the morning "sweating your bits off" - as one woman said to me - could reliably be seen as a symptom.

But she was not embarrassed about it - that is the point.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2011, 01:10:53 PM by Jules '63 »

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
Just a short reply, in between working.

Re. the use of 'symptom' - within the context of the current discourse about menopause (at least the one that I have been exposed to) - it creates for me a sense of dis-ease and 'othering' of the process.
Neither of which capture what I am experiencing. That's not my process.

It also makes me feel somewhat disempowered - as though some monolithic medical model is capable of doing what I cannot - prescribing and describing my process.

Re. the 'medicating' myself - I don't understand what I am doing in those terms. I understand what I am doing in terms of reading/researching/introspecting/learning. Part of the results of that process have led me to entertain the oestrogen dominance theory - please have a look at some of the books and related sites on this subject.

Put very simply, progesterone and the oestrogens in our systems, if in balance, help our bodies.
Environmental pollutants, particularly derivatives of petrochemicals, have created 'mock' oestrogens which have tipped the balance in our body's systems.
It is this, that causes some of the 'symptoms' we associate with menopause, not menopause itself.

Yes?
But please, I would invite people to do some of their own reading and lay claim to their own knowledge.

And that's another pertinent question - how many of us read around our hormonal health?
Yes? No?
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
Spreadsheet done - do people want to know how I'm charting this?
I don't want to share if it's not wanted.
Lemme know.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*