Author Topic: Perimenopausal/Menopausal/Postmenopausal - Conversations Amongst Ourselves  (Read 24297 times)

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
I'm 41.

A few years ago I bought for myself 3 books, knowing that I would need them.
And that time is now.
Yesterday, I pulled out those books:

Passage to Power - Leslie Kenton
Natural Progesterone, The Multiple Roles of a Remarkable Hormone - John R Lee
Natural Progesterone - Anna Rushton & Dr Shirley A. Bond

I'm excited and happy to be entering this next stage of my life, and delighted to be reading the books that I bought for myself, all those years ago.
So much to learn! Another opportunity.

In my little 'bubble' I gabbled away happily to a number of female friends the past week about how I'm reading books on the menopause.
The reaction?
It was as though I were giggling at a funeral!

I've been rather taken aback by this.

Not one to be deterred, I have started this thread.
 :D

To all of you out there, with stories to share, please do.
I want to learn from you, and contribute whatever I can to our shared knowledge of these 3 phases of our lives.

Long live the Crone!

Also, see this thread.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011, 09:30:09 PM by guineapig »
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline Chablis

• Gingerbeer Goddess
im perimenopausal it started at 44, ive ended up on HRT as the hot flushes are so bad, if your books give a natural remedy to hot flushes let me know, as I am sure all this HRT cant be good for me, and ive friends who are still on it at 60.  :(
"There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of Champagne"

Offline debspa

• "Best female beer drinker in Soll" 1986
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • so much not to do and all day not to do it in
54 years. Perimenopausal for about 18 months. Time between periods ranges from about 9 days to my current 8 weeks and waiting ! Would be ok if I didn't have apparently random period pains . Current lot has been going for 3 weeks now  : )
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights....(UDHR)

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
I'm 40 but still want kids I hope my stuff keeps working a bit longer. I had a palm reader tell me I'd keep periods till I was 58 lets hope so. My mum menopaused early but she's different to me in so many ways body wise I'm more like my Dad's side of the family and he was one of ten kids.
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

Offline Miaow

• Creative Artistic Soul
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Metamodern Fourth-wave Pussycat

I'm 46, and my periods seem to have stopped. Ive had blood tests to see if I'm menopausal but they have come back as negative so I can't be, just having irregular periods.
Femme, queer, feminist

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Well done, GP. I've had some blood tests for peri-menopause done recently but they showed up nothing unusual, but unless something is way off the scale they wouldn't anyway.   ::)

Something is going on though (hormone wise) and I'm not feeling so happy about it at the moment ie; changes in skin texture etc.

I'm not ready for this  :(
"She walked in through the out door, out door.."

valerie

When i was 9 years old, 3 times I had such horrible pain that my parents drove me to the hospital thinking it was appendicitis. At 10, i had my first period. I never had a period without cramps & subsequent misery. At 35, my cramps were accompanied by head-shattering migraines...migraines before my period, during my period, that period of time in the middle between periods. At 40,hot flashes.
     At age 46, i realized my period was late...real late. Another epiphany (pop. word on a thread now :)  ),  no migraines for 2 months for the first time in 11 years. No hot flashes.
I felt great & continue to feel great,except for a recent 2 month span of weakness & ill health,but a return to normalcy now.
          For me, the culmination of all that was a great joy! Jubilation! Yay,i can wear white trousers & never have to worry unless i sit on a dead lizard or a fallen fig.
              I considered my self lucky to loose the "hassle" at 46
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011, 01:05:41 PM by valerie »

Offline Jules™

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
Interested to see this thread, GP.  I was going to post something similar.

Fairly sure I am heading that way myself - periods getting closer together, problem with tiredness.  I haven't had a blood test yet, but I am 48 so it is the likely explaination.  No hot flushes yet, but apparently  not all women get them anyway.

Not keen on the idea of taking HRT due to the link with breast cancer but that might change if I start getting really bad symptoms.

I am not depressed about the menopause  - it is just a stage of life, and in some ways I would rather just get on with it.

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
I'm glad people have generally welcomed this thread.
I'd love to know if any of you have done some of your own research and networking around this stage of your body's life.
I am doing my own reading, and this thread is the beginnings of my networking.

So far, everything I have read has confirmed my intuition that synthesized hormones are something I don't want in my body.

I'm going to make a wee chart for myself to fill in over the next 6 months - I want to plot my:
sleep quality
mood
headaches
skin/hair quality

against my hormone cycle.

The chart won't be complex - I don't have time or inclination for nuanced descriptions.
I'm lucky because I know my food and activity levels very well and don't need to chart these to teach myself what I'm doing.

If people are interested, I'm happy to share the form of the chart - my findings I'm happy to share, but only in the general sense! I don't think people need to know my hair condition on day 23 of my cycle  ;D ::)

Sometimes these exercises I've found very useful, but hard to sustain.
If you're the same and want to chart something similar, let me know - we can support one another?
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

Offline SteadyCat

• Gingerbeer Goddess
I think that's a very good idea. I could hve some comments for you but I was a bit hesitant about posting on the boards. I guess that's one of my issues.  :)
This is my favorite book at the moment and it's also a kindle book on Amazon!

http://www.xcitebooks.co.uk/Book/7715/Delicious-Divas.html

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
I'd be delighted to hear from you Steady - either here or by IM.
But I do think it'd be great if we posted in the thread - sharing the experience, knowledge and learning....n'all that  :)
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

outOforder

Oh gosh, I can't believe I'm approaching that time. I'm 38. I know there is a wide variance, but still.

I will follow this thread with interest. If I am honest, I am not looking forward to it, but that might be underlying society spin...women loosing their fertility and becoming well, older and less useful, or some crap.

I have put no thought into this, merely carrying along with a blase attitude that I would stay the same for ever (I've had enough happen to me so far, that I should know this to be unfounded, but hey).

Like I said, I will read with interest and perhaps be educated to some degree on something I admit to shamefully knowing little about (apart from fellow mentals whose mentalness was triggered by the menopause.)

dukovearl

I'm 53. I haven't done any research, apart from speaking to my post-menopausal friends and my mum. I first said to her that I thought I was peri-menopausal quite a few years ago (can't quite remember when - I'm not at all a recorder, so no charts or spreadsheets here but they do impress me).

My mum said I was the first person who had asked her anything at all about her experience of menopause. Mostly she thought it was taboo, being all wrapped up in the general menstruation-related disgust. She had HRT very briefly and got a thrombosis. Apparently, who knows, she stopped trusting the doctors anyway.

I'm still peri-menopausal and mostly not suffering awfully. My main symptom is heavy but irregular periods, sometimes fortnightly, then not at all for a couple of months. I haven't had any hot flushes or migraines, but for two of my friends those were the main symptoms. Seems like it's different for everyone.

Actually, I want to not say symptom at all. Like menstruation, childbearing and so on, menopause is so medicalised, isn't it? When really it's not a disease. What words does Leslie Kenton use?

Offline Uncle Pants

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • Too postmodern to care (V.V., 19/8/08)
I don't know how I'll ever know when I'm on the way there, given my lack of anything remotely resembling a regular cycle ever.
"get out of my thread you twisted love puppet" -- outoforder

spearmint

I a 48 and had my last period a year ago.   My periods went from lasting 6 days to lasting 3 days and they were very light.   Then they suddenly stopped.   A friend of mine told me to investigate it with the doctor but I told her that it was the menopause.   To this day she is not convinced  ::)   

I only had hot flushes for a week or so and then felt as right as rain  :D