Author Topic: Quotations that Matter  (Read 38225 times)

Offline TimTam

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
    • Facebook
Re: Quotations that Matter
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »
I was always worried about hurting people with my words, but by keeping quiet the only person I was hurting was myself. - TimTam x

Panthera

« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
Ooh, just found this qoute on the buddhist belief about karma and re-incarnation. They link life and death to waking and sleeping - OMG, I was speculating on something identical to this not too long ago and talking about how consciousness is a bit like a ghost mind, coming and going, so finding this quote today is pretty wow to me.

'The universe is life itself. When we die, our lives melt back into the greater life of the universe and are nowhere to be found, much like the interval of sleep when our minds are seemingly nowhere. Just as we resume our mental activities from the previous day upon awakening, so too we are born with our karma from previous existences. In this way, just as we sleep and wake, we are born and die, maintaining an eternal cycle of life'

Biz

« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »
"Fear is not the natural state for civilised people."

- Aung San Suu Kyi

valerie

« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
Plato- "Love is a grave mental disease"

let's face it, it can be :D

valerie

« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »
^ Pray explain yourself. Is this about the madness of love?  :D
i believe so ;D

valerie

« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »
"I love thee to the depth and breadth and height,my soul can reach" EBB
I do not know that I will vevr be moved to say that in this lifetime. Maybe the next time around ;) ;D

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

valerie

« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein
his quotes were all thought-provoking

MissNomer

« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Some words I've got lying about my room and my brain, which I have found powerful at different times:

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Also Rumi

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage - Anais Nin

A small group of thoughtful people could change the world, indeed it's the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

Power without love is reckless and abusive. Love without power is sentimental and anemic - Martin Luther King jr

Once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it - Bill Cosby

Live as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be - Joss Whedon (Screenwriter genius extraordinaire...this quote is from Angel, the tv show - Buffy spinoff)

Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity - Aristotle

Contempt is a weapon of the weak, and a defense against one's own despised and unwanted feelings - I forget...

To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose one's self - Kierkeguard (sp?)

How vain it is to sit down to write, when you have not yet stood up to live - again, I forget..and think the wording might be off

Annnnnnd last week in a meeting, someone said something that really hit home, even though it's sort of cheese. She said:  "there IS a God, or a higher power, or whatever you want to call it - and it's NOT you" (wot!? I'm not the central force of the universe, responsible for everything that could possibly happen ever?? Oh right. Phew)
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2011, 11:42:52 PM by MissNomer »

Biz

« Reply #24 on: Aug 13, 2011, 01:21:35 AM »
"The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature."

"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

~ All Joseph Campbell.
I love the first one very much.

Biz

« Reply #25 on: Aug 13, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »
"...Love in its fullest form is a series of deaths and rebirths. We let go of one phase, one aspect of love, and enter another. Passion dies and is brought back. Pain is chased away and surfaces another time. To love means to embrace and at the same time to withstand many endings, and many many beginnings- all in the same relationship."

"Having a lover/friend who regards you as a living growing criatura, being, just as much as the tree from the ground, or a ficus in the house, or a rose garden out in the side yard... having a lover and friends who look at you as a true living breathing entity, one that is human but made of very fine and moist and magical things as well... a lover and friends who support the ciatura in you... these are the people you are looking for. They will be the friends of your soul for life. Mindful choosing of friends and lovers, not to mention teachers, is critical to remaining conscious, remaining intuitive, remaining in charge of the fiery light that sees and knows."

~ Both Clarissa Pinkola Estes

and my favourite of all:

"I hope you will go out and let stories happen to you, and that you will work them, water them with your blood and tears and your laughter till they bloom, till you yourself burst into bloom. That is the work. The only work."

Offline smiling

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #26 on: Aug 13, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
i like this one:
a mind once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions

:) no idea who said it, sorry...i just remember it....(it's obviously stretched my brain ;) )
..auch die Ruhe nach dem Sturm
is nur die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
(Georg Danzer)

MissNomer

« Reply #27 on: Aug 21, 2011, 01:41:37 AM »
"Never stand begging for what you have the power to earn"

MissNomer

« Reply #28 on: Aug 21, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
"A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for" - William Shedd

heronhouse

« Reply #29 on: Aug 21, 2011, 02:03:13 AM »
"Never take anything into a fight that you can't eat"