Author Topic: Astrology  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
Astrology
« on: Aug 01, 2011, 11:22:24 AM »
Was just noticing there wasn't an Astrology topic.

Anyone wish to share charts, knowledge etc...

http://www.astrology-numerology.com/astrology.html

http://www.astrology-numerology.com/housesummary.html

Astrology is the study of celestial bodies as they relate to destiny, personality, human affairs, and natural events.[1] The primary astrological bodies are the Sun, Moon, and planets, which are analyzed by their relative positions to one another (aspects), by their placement in 'houses' (spatial divisions of the sky) and their movement through signs of the zodiac (spatial divisions of the ecliptic).

Astrology’s origins trace to the third millennium BCE. Ancient civilizations developed it as a system to predict seasonal shifts and interpret celestial cycles as ‘signs’ of ‘divine communications’.[2] Historically it was a learned tradition, sustained in courts, cultural centers and universities, and closely related to the studies of alchemy, meteorology, and medicine.[3] Astrology and astronomy have a closely connected history, but astronomy broke its ties with astrology during the Enlightenment in the late 17th-18th centuries, after which astrology suffered a decline of intellectual regard.[4] It experienced an increase of popular interest in the 20th century, partly through the popularity of newspaper horoscopes and by association with New Age philosophies.[5] According to Gallup opinion polls, around 25% of adults in the UK and USA accept that astrology or the position of the stars and planets affect people’s lives, although the real figure may be much higher.[6]

Astrologers have long debated the degree of determinism in astrology and the limits of astrology's application. Some astrologers believe the planets control fate directly, others that they determine personalities. These positions have been criticized by philosophers and astrologers for denying free will.[7] Many astrologers contend that there is no direct influence, only an acausal correlation between the planets and earthly affairs.

In its modern form, astrology is considered a pseudoscience;[8] the scientific community bases this assessment on astrology's predictive claims which either cannot be falsified or have been consistently disproved.[9][not in citation given] Astrology cannot be classified as science because it lacks empirical support, supplies no hypotheses, and resolves to describe natural events in terms of scientifically untestable supernatural causes.[10][not in citation given] Much of the continued faith in astrology can be psychologically explained as a matter of cognitive bias.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2011, 11:26:15 AM by Evan »
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

Offline JuicyCrone

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Strangely strange, but oddly normal...
Re: Astrology
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »
^what are the number in brackets? 

I have never been particularly interested in Astrology, or at least not in the form of horoscopes in magazines etc.  But recently I joined U3A, and they have an Astrology group, so I thought I would join. 

I am finding it very interesting, and the first project has been to compile our own individual birth charts.  Which is proving fascinating and complicated all at once.

I am not sure I will ever find myself able to use it for any kind of divination/fortune telling, but to be honest I am not really into fortune telling anyway.  But I am enjoying learning about it more and keeping an open mind.
And she saw that she looked like the Goddess Mothers she had just seen. ...........She left the museum juicy, full and ripe with possibilities.

Deb-RA Sawers (from We'moon 03)

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »
^what are the number in brackets?

But recently I joined U3A, and they have an Astrology group, so I thought I would join.

references in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology

Ahhh http://www.u3a.org.uk/
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2011, 04:38:50 PM by Evan »
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

braveandcrazy

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »

I am finding it very interesting, and the first project has been to compile our own individual birth charts.  Which is proving fascinating and complicated all at once.
I quite like Parker's Astrology (the full-length version not the abridged one).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parkers-Astrology-Julia-Parker/dp/140534511X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312492947&sr=8-1

The 1994 edition is available online for a penny plus p&p!

Never got as far as drawing up a chart by hand though I really ought to.  I cheat using the Astrodienst website -- which is a bit like doing arithmetic on a calculator and never learning to do it in your head!

Offline JuicyCrone

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Strangely strange, but oddly normal...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:47:50 AM »
^ thanks for the book recommendation, I will give it a look!

Interesting you mention Astrodienst - what we are doing is drawing up our own birth charts, and once we have done it by hand, we are using that website as a "2nd opinion".  I have to say though, that it is complicated and the temptation to cheat is very strong! - but so far unyielded to.
And she saw that she looked like the Goddess Mothers she had just seen. ...........She left the museum juicy, full and ripe with possibilities.

Deb-RA Sawers (from We'moon 03)

braveandcrazy

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2011, 01:13:13 AM »
Astrodienst is a very comprehensive site.  I've played with it on and off for a while.  You can store chart data on there and look at different chart styles.  There's a swiss ephemeris and all sorts of tutorials plus interactive features. Oh and your daily "stars" of course !!!

waite

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
Astrodienst  is my "go to" website. I love playing with the composite charts, I do it just for fun.